Next step for longer bottom times on deep dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Scuba Client

I have just noticed that you are in Australia. I suspect your diving conditions are better than mine.

3 weeks ago it was pitch black at 15m. Without a torch you couldn't locate your buddy. At 6m, even though there was light, conditions where so bad that if you where 2m apart you couldn't locate your buddy.

2 weeks ago, at 35m, conditions where perfect, no torches required, and a good 6m of horizontal visibility.

Interesting in the UK, if you where recovering Abalone for money you would be 'at work'. So would come under HSE (Health and Safety Executive) legislation, as such it would be illegal to dive air to anything like that depth. That covers all involved, the diver, the boat operator, the dive supervisor and the company (even if it is a one man band).

@Scuba Client

I have just noticed that you are in Australia. I suspect your diving conditions are better than mine.

3 weeks ago it was pitch black at 15m. Without a torch you couldn't locate your buddy. At 6m, even though there was light, conditions where so bad that if you where 2m apart you couldn't locate your buddy.

2 weeks ago, at 35m, conditions where perfect, no torches required, and a good 6m of horizontal visibility.

Interesting in the UK, if you where recovering Abalone for money you would be 'at work'. So would come under HSE (Health and Safety Executive) legislation, as such it would be illegal to dive air to anything like that depth. That covers all involved, the diver, the boat operator, the dive supervisor and the company (even if it is a one man band).
I've seen your videos. You would be surprised that in Australia we have days when we dive low visibility. Three metres max. It makes for good navigation.
They use a hooker system.

@Scuba Client

Abalone divers have a high incidence of DCI. Probably because they don't use software-generated dive plans.

@Scuba Client

Had a quick look at the inverted tank set up. I like the idea, but is there a need for an isolation valve since I doubt anyone but the most flexible could reach it.

Back to the OP who wants to dive from 90 - 130 feet I would have thought the Advanced Nitrox and Decompression course would be most suitable. This is one of two courses I want to do when I get get back to regular diving and I have dive partners that can do those deco dives with me. CCR is not one of the things I plan on doing due to my "advanced age" lol

This is the sort of visibility I get on my dives at that depth in day conditions. Can see around 20m or more pretty easily. I would not be so happy with vis at 6m horizontally except on a night dive.

The AN/DP class does teach you to a certain depth (150' ish range), it doesn't have to be about depth because it also teaches you planning. There are many dives here in Cozumel that would be fantastic deco dives and you never drop below 130'..... Someday soon I hope to own a boat that allows that kind of diving here...

You haven't been keeping up with medical journals involving scuba, otherwise you would know Simon Mitchell is an Assistant Professor.
I'm not sure why it needed pointing out this explicitly, but for the record, I'm not an Assistant Professor.

jlcnuke:
If we asked Dr. Simon Mitchell if it is his professional recommendation that all recreational training agencies limit all recreational diving to 100' or below due to the gas density and/or narcosis safety concerns/risk in the current 101-130' recreational range until divers are trained on and using trimix to make the dive safe? I'd be very, very surprised to hear him say that should be done as a blanket "rule" for diving. I know he doesn't endorse "deep air diving", but I don't know that he 'opposes" diving on air/nitrox at 101' for instance. It seems to be that some people are saying that's his position however, so I'd love to get clarification on his professional thoughts for that scenario.

My apologies for the very delayed response to this. I have had a very busy couple of weeks clinically, and have not been around the board.

Your summary of my position is fairly accurate. Gavin Anthony's gas density data which we published in 2016 [1] suggests a significant upward inflection in the risk of CO2 retention if gas density rises above 6g/L during mild exercise while using using underwater breathing apparatus. 6g/L corresponds to air at about 40m / 130' (the typical maximum depth for air diving recommended by most training agencies). I am not much in favour of blanket rules for anything in diving, and like most other issues, the gas density issue is nuanced. An increase in risk does not = a guaranteed calamity if the density guidelines are not followed - just an increase in risk. Intelligent divers can make choices about acceptable risk, and in the case of gas density, other factors can significantly modify related risks (like low work of breathing equipment, avoiding exercise by using DPVs, benign conditions, etc etc). For me, acceptable risk would not include air at 65m (someone else said they would do that), because not only will there be a very high risk of CO2 retention, there will also be severe nitrogen narcosis which will be exacerbated by CO2, not to mention a risk of oxygen toxicity (PO2 = 1.6 atm abs). In general, I try to stick to my own recommendations about gas density byavoiding densities greater than 6g/L when planning deep diving gases, and avoiding air below 40m).

Simon M

1. ANTHONY TG, MITCHELL SJ. Respiratory physiology of rebreather diving. In: Pollock NW, Sellers SH, Godfrey JM (Editors). Rebreathers and Scientific Diving. Proceedings of NPS/NOAA/DAN/AAUS June 16-19, 2015 Workshop. Wrigley Marine Science Center, Catalina Island, CA, 66-79, 2016. Available from:

https://www.omao.noaa.gov/sites/def...rs and Scientific Diving Proceedings 2016.pdf

Dr. Mitchell, again thanks for your infinite patience and also for the valuable contributions you make gratis.

[1] -Narcosis tolerance, if it exists, is a very short term tolerance.
In much the same way as consuming large amounts of alcohol regularly, allows an alcoholic to appear to function normally. It was believed/hoped, that regular deep diving allowed you to function when suffering from narcosis.
I do wonder if this was more a mental stress thing. Doing deep diving regularly, meant you where relaxed and calm at depth. Unlike those who where unused too deep complex dives

My mindset was that deep diving regularly gave me a better ability to notice how narcosis affected me, and make a better decision when to thumb the dive. For the same reason, I would do work up dives to depth if I hadn't been deep for a while. I've done a lot of deep dives because I've thumbed a lot of deep dives. A lot of my deep was solo, as one needs a very good buddy that understands how dangerous it is and when to quit.

Interesting in the UK, if you where recovering Abalone for money you would be 'at work'.

Depends on what "poaching abalone" means in Australian, here it would be thievery not work related.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom