Not a huge fan of my GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The zoom gear is SE1650-PZ. I don't have time to post the part number of every piece of gear before I leave.

It would be helpful to post a shot of the camera/lens with the zoom gear installed - the gear teeth should situated very close to the camera body to mesh with the teeth on the zoom knob on the housing.

It would probably also be helpful to post a parallel post asking someone to show a photo of the zoom gear correctly installed on the lens. If it doesn't mesh something is not installed right you mention you have a focus gear as well - is it possible you've mixed them up? If I'm not mistaken the lens has a power zoom where you push a lever back and forth to zoom? It's difficult to assist with just written descriptions.

Here are the 'extra' rings

Attachments

• 20210515_195307.jpg
    20210515_195307.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 87
I'm pretty sure you've got it mounted backwards. The teeth should be by the camera body, inside the housing, in order to mesh with the knob-driven gear in there.

Makes sense if I want to use the knob on the body and not the port, but this only physically fits the way I have it. It isn't big enough to fit over the lens the other way. The instructions show it oriented the way I have it too.

I did figure out that the 'extra' rings fit between the diopter and the holder, and seem to be some sort of spacer. I can attach the diopter to the holder without any rings, or with 1 ring, or with both. The rings will physically fit the groves instead of the of the holder, but then I cannot attach the holder if I have a ring on first. The rings don't fit anywhere else.

They probably specify a flat port with focus knob for a reason and you need to mesh with the gear on the port. Do the teeth end up about 5-6mm forward of the gear attached to the port knob? Reading further it appears the zoom ring on the lens converts to a MF ring if the lens is in MF so there is only 1 gear.

The knob on the port often will have a mechanism to pull it back a little from the gear to allow you to install it then it goes back in to mesh with the zoom gear - have your tried that out to see if you can get the gear to mesh?

If that is not the issue I'm wondering if you are meant to fit the mounting ring for the gear slightly lower on the zoom ring - can you the little edge at the top of that ring to mount in the groove between the two sets of ribs on the zoom ring?

If that doesn't work I would suggest to PM Phil Rudin - he has definitely used this combination and should be able to tell what is wrong

Makes sense if I want to use the knob on the body and not the port, but this only physically fits the way I have it. It isn't big enough to fit over the lens the other way. The instructions show it oriented the way I have it too.

What do you mean by 'not big enough'? If it doesn't go over the lens, you may need to take the lens off, put the gear on the lens, then put the lens on the camera.

I did figure out that the 'extra' rings fit between the diopter and the holder, and seem to be some sort of spacer. I can attach the diopter to the holder without any rings, or with 1 ring, or with both. The rings will physically fit the groves instead of the of the holder, but then I cannot attach the holder if I have a ring on first. The rings don't fit anywhere else.

CMC-1 and CMC-2 have a protruding rear lens element; this is meant to get it closer to the port glass when using adapters (flip/bayonet/magnetic). When you are not using an adapter and instead screw the diopter directly into an M67 port, you need the spacers to take place of the adapter and put the threads flush with the rear element.

What do you mean by 'not big enough'? If it doesn't go over the lens, you may need to take the lens off, put the gear on the lens, then put the lens on the camera.

The lens is not a perfect cylinder, it is wider near the body. The diameter of the hole in the zoom gear is smaller than the diameter of the lens near the body.

CMC-1 and CMC-2 have a protruding rear lens element; this is meant to get it closer to the port glass when using adapters (flip/bayonet/magnetic). When you are not using an adapter and instead screw the diopter directly into an M67 port, you need the spacers to take place of the adapter and put the threads flush with the rear element.

Do I want the diopter flush against the port glass? If not, how much space should be between them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom