Yellow hoses and Yellow regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude go away. Quit trolling. If you have something to add of value please do otherwise. BYE
HAHAA. Yes, that is ironic.

I am in the US. I think I could rent a long hose setup from most of the shops in the Bay or in Monterey. Largely as they sell rebreathers and backplates.

Yellow is secondary and that is what I brief. If you want air come and get it. It will be the yellow hose on my right hand side. My primary is a full face mask. Your not getting it from there.

Glenn

I'm not sure what you hope to contribute to this discussion when OP is asking about long hose/primary donate and you dive a ffm.

A "standard setup" as you call it is not suitable for primary donate.

A "standard setup" (shorter, 22~26" or 56~66cm hose on the primary regulator) may not be ideal for primary donate, but it's certainly suitable.

Maybe something (dangling camera, poorly routed hose, coralhead immediately to your right as the OOG diver approaches from your left, etc) makes it hard to grab and provide the octo from the recommended "triangle" in the "standard configuration"....in which case, donate whatever is easier, even your primary.

If you're donating a regulator (rather than having one frantically stolen by a panicked OOG diver), then hopefully you can then let the recipient take a breath while you get your octo and offer it to them or use it yourself. Take another breath or two. Try to calm yourself & the other diver. Then untangle the mess of hoses.

A "standard setup" (shorter, 22~26" or 56~66cm hose on the primary regulator) may not be ideal for primary donate, but it's certainly suitable.

Maybe something (dangling camera, poorly routed hose, coralhead immediately to your right as the OOG diver approaches from your left, etc) makes it hard to grab and provide the octo from the recommended "triangle" in the "standard configuration"....in which case, donate whatever is easier, even your primary.

If you're donating a regulator (rather than having one frantically stolen by a panicked OOG diver), then hopefully you can then let the recipient take a breath while you get your octo and offer it to them or use it yourself. Take another breath or two. Try to calm yourself & the other diver. Then untangle the mess of hoses.

I think you're mixing the two methods. Primary donate vs. Secondary (Octopus) donate.
With Primary donate - and it is a donate whether you hand it to them or they take if from your mouth.; The primary is on the "long" hose - whether that is a 40", 5', 6' (what I'm moving too because of my girth) or 7'. The secondary (not an Octo) is usually on a much shorter hose on a necklace under your chin (my case is a 19" or 20"). After donating I have plenty of time to get my secondary in my mouth (it is just under my chin - always...not dangling behind me or anywhere else....no tangled hoses). There is no way someone can take my secondary reg without either pulling off the mouth piece or my head (I have mine secured via a bungee Under the zip tie). ISE Regulator Single Configuration - YouTube (go to about the 6:50 mark to see how I did mine if interested).

secondary donate (aka the octopus) deals with magic triangles and finding / offering / etc. Has that longer octopus hose that Glenn has mentioned - sometimes with a pretty yellow hose - sometimes not. When I dove like this (a long time ago) my primary was around 30" I think - so yes, it was something that "could" be donated but not comfortably; but not as long at the "octo" that I had - i think mine was 40" give or take.

OP is NOT yet certified.
A lot of ideas picking up from whatever he/she has been reading or watching.
I am just waiting for someone to suggest a swivel on the 5' hose. Next question is probably where? First or 2nd stage?

OP is NOT yet certified.
A lot of ideas picking up from whatever he/she has been reading or watching.
Would you rather they did not read more broadly?
Just follow what ever they are told by what ever instructor they get?
Not be a critically thinking diver?
Not adapt their ideas based on new information? (As we have seen them adapt!)
Not seek out that information in a source we think is useful in aggregate?

Please, tell us more.

I think you're mixing the two methods. Primary donate vs. Secondary (Octopus) donate.

Not at all.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread (hey, it's SB, that's practically a requirement!).

There's the action of "donating the primary regulator" (regardless of the hose configuration & training) and the method of "primary donate" (which implies a particular hose configuration and placement of the secondary).

I was attempting to point out that, in reality, a diver's primary regulator can always be donated to an OOG diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom