Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have big hands, the 720's felt tight in the beginning but they loosen up pretty good after a few dives. Maybe try wearing them around the house.... I did for a bit:) they feel much better.

I can't even get the 720-11 (XXL) gloves on my bare hand, much less with a glove liner on. Wearing them around the house isn't going to cut it - Showa makes different gloves that run much larger - no reason to struggle when another glove will "fit like a glove".

Just got pair of 720s and 660s both XXL. Didn't know I have big hands but seems like I do. Both feel just a bit too small with very thin liners. Wish there were size 12. Have to try 737s

The XXL 660s are humongous. You must have some sasquatch in you blood-line if they feel too small, even with very thin liners.

What are you using for liners just to provide for a mental comparison.

The Nitrile 720s fit a tad bit tighter than other gloves in the SHOWA line-up (660, 495, etc.) for their respective sizes, but the material is stretchier, relaxes a bit with use, and it does not stiffen up when cold like the 660 and other PVC type gloves.

If your are seriously having issues with the XXL fitting in any of their glove models, then I recommend giving the good folks at SHOWA a call and discuss that with them and have them send you samples of what they recommend:
800-241-0323

Let us know what they recommend.

-Z

The XXL 660s are humongous. You must have some sasquatch in you blood-line if they feel too small, even with very thin liners.

I can barely fit my bare hands in the XXL 660's and certainly can't fit anything in with a liner. I have a 12-pack of 660's sitting in my kitchen as kitchen gloves - my wife loves them.

I can barely fit my bare hands in the XXL 660's and certainly can't fit anything in with a liner. I have a 12-pack of 660's sitting in my kitchen as kitchen gloves - my wife loves them.

Give a SHOWA a shout to see if they have a recommended solution.

Could you also post a picture of your hand for posterity?

Also, if your wife is using XXL 660 gloves to wash dishes with, I get a vision of her hands swimming in the amount of space she would have inside the gloves...does she have really big hands as well? I am wondering if the gloves you have are mis-marked, it would be odd but not beyond the realm of possibilities.

-Z

Give a SHOWA a shout to see if they have a recommended solution.

Could you also post a picture of your hand for posterity?

Also, if your wife is using XXL 660 gloves to wash dishes with, I get a vision of her hands swimming in the amount of space she would have inside the gloves...does she have really big hands as well? I am wondering if the gloves you have are mis-marked, it would be odd but not beyond the realm of possibilities.

-Z

I've already posted a fairly detailed post with a summary of what gloves work well (and don't work well):

Ansell 352-10 (biggest size) - WAY too small. Can't fit it on bare handed
Showa 379-11 (XXL) - too small if using a liner, barely fits without a liner
Showa 720-11 (XXL) - too small, can't fit it on my bare hand. Bigger than the Ansell 352 above, smaller than the Showa 379-11 above
Showa 3416-11 (XXL) - too small, can barely fit my bare hand (tight/hurts), no way to fit with a liner

The glove that I prefer which fits well and works well with a liner is the Showa 737 (727 and 717 are the same glove but thinner - 737 is 22mil, 727 15mil, 717 12mil). Despite all of the other gloves being too small, I actually wear a 737-10 (XL) and this works with a thick liner if needed. I've tried 737-11 but the finger length is a bit too long.

I didn't post the 660's in that list because I last tried those ~1 year ago.

Yeah - my wifes hands are definitely swimming in the gloves, but she's happy to have something robust :)

They aren't mismarked - my buddy uses 660s and I gave him a few pairs as well - they matched the ones he had.

Anyways - the 737-10 works perfectly for me :)

Reactions: Zef
Using o-rings size 341 x 70 durometer in place of the ones that come in the box will make mounting gloves a breeze without sacrificing security.

-Z

Thanks Zef, I will look into giving those a shot when I replace my gloves.

Showa really has good customer care. I live in Finland and asked them for 737 samples and got few pairs of those. I asked for 737-11 and those are HUGE. The glove probably feels bigger because there's no lining in it but they are also much wider than other size 11s. Took a pic with 722-11 and 737-11.
upload_2021-6-10_12-32-8.png

The size difference between 722-11 and 737-11 is much much more than difference between 722-11 vs. 660-11.
660-11 feels just a bit bigger than 722 and I can wear 737-11 over my 660-11. So anyone trying to decide between 737 sizes, take the smaller one.

And because this is Waterproof thread: I'll get my Ultimas today or tomorrow after two months of waiting. Just in time because I'll get my first ever drysuit in few weeks. Because of this thread I'll go with Ultima and Showa.

EDIT:
722 should be 720.

@Walde

Since you have not yet received your rings yet, do yourself a favor and pick up some size 341 x 70 durometer o-rings to use to mount the gloves with. These will make it much easier to get your gloves on the rings without as much fuss, pain, and cursing as the o-rings that come in the box.

Additionally, there is the optional "push and pull rings" add-on...these make separating the two halves of the system after a dive much easier.

-Z

Showa really has good customer care. I live in Finland and asked them for 737 samples and got few pairs of those. I asked for 737-11 and those are HUGE. The glove probably feels bigger because there's no lining in it but they are also much wider than other size 11s. Took a pic with 722-11 and 737-11.
View attachment 664474
The size difference between 722-11 and 737-11 is much much more than difference between 722-11 vs. 660-11.
660-11 feels just a bit bigger than 722 and I can wear 737-11 over my 660-11. So anyone trying to decide between 737 sizes, take the smaller one.

And because this is Waterproof thread: I'll get my Ultimas today or tomorrow after two months of waiting. Just in time because I'll get my first ever drysuit in few weeks. Because of this thread I'll go with Ultima and Showa.

I really like my Ultimas, but why not go with with less expensive, just as good if not easier Rolock 90's?

If I didn't already have the Ultimas I would have gave them a shot.

Reactions: Zef
View attachment 664474

Just for reference, I believe you are refering to the model 720 gloves as model 722...when I look that glove up (722) on Showa's website, nothing shows up under that model number.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom