If you could change one thing about dive training...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure that the marketeers pushing expensive AI computers and transmitters really help here. Starting with an SPG means divers have to develop the habit of getting the SPG out and reading it. This action can be seen by all, not looking at the pressure reading on their computer can’t be validated.
Not sure if AI would eliminate the poor gas management issue.
If the sample number is too small then nothing conclusive could be drawn.
Spg/AI are usually not mentioned on the news at all.

Not sure if AI would eliminate the poor gas management issue.
If the sample number is too small then nothing conclusive could be drawn.
Spg/AI are usually not mentioned on the news at all.

The point is that checking an SPG is a clear sign that you're checking your SPG. Looking at the computer means nothing.

The point is that checking an SPG is a clear sign that you're checking your SPG. Looking at the computer means nothing.

I believe the whole idea of AI is for diver to check both important parameters, NDL and tank pressure, with just one look.
Any exception? No idea.

Make it so someone cannot be a dive instructor till they have done at least 500 dives!

By then they will have acquired a certain type of wisdom precluding them from becoming a diving instructor

Since Open Water is an ISO certification, all agencies have to meet the same requirements.
Examination of those requirements at the end of the course could be carried out by an agency independent examiner (e.g. an instructor from another divecenter).

This idea is a no-go for the quick 3-day-holiday courses, but it could improve dive safety and at the same time this would expose poor instruction.

This idea is a no-go for the quick 3-day-holiday courses, but it could improve dive safety and at the same time this would expose poor instruction.

Although there are some benefits to having the quick 3-day-holiday courses, I believe the final certification could be something like "supervised diver".

I really agree with GUE's approach up to rec2 (please, let's not bring the r3):
- supervised diver for quick courses (3days)
- ow diver with emphasis on good buoyancy, trim, safety drills and basic skills (dsmb, compass, etc.), and skipping the first lessons if already supervised certified
- level 2 with emphasis on rescue, navigation, harsh environmental conditions (such as low visibility)

We need divers to use common sense and keep sharp on their own.

I thought my classes were fine. As people are fond of saying here, there are no scuba police -- if someone can get air in a tank they can find a way to go diving, card or no card. Scuba classes exist for people who are interested in learning about diving. An average OW class is already a considerable investment of time and money. Legally competent adults often find the people that will give them what they want (or want for their child): a card to show on a trip, or useful knowledge to dive safely. Hopefully, they will get both and have fun doing it.

Scuba is an economist's dream of the effective self-regulating industry. There are really no "laws" -- the certification process exists, in part, because shops, dive boats, and dive site operators want people they serve to dive safely and, of course, need to make sure their insurance companies will step up to the plate if something goes horribly wrong. The vast majority of people can get an OW card if they want to -- but even an easy OW class does a pretty good job of getting people to self select out if they are not comfortable in the water, have a medical issue, etc.

I don't think the classes need to change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom