Supporting my local dive shop(s) is frustrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the reason it makes no sense is not so much because it's true, but more because at this time you lack the experience to realize how unimportant some of these gear choices are. It's all still diving, and you will need to learn the same basic skills regardless of what regulator you're using or what BC you're using. The details of your procedures might change a bit, but the big picture issues are the same. The one immediate gear decision that will make a huge difference is getting a well fitting exposure suit that is appropriate for the water temperatures you'll be training in. You absolutely MUST be able to try it on before buying it. Wetsuit purchases can be a pain online for that reason.

It makes more sense to me, as a very experienced diver, to just start your initial training on adequate gear (assuming the shop you train with can provide that), and make bigger and more permanent gear set-up choices when you have the experience to evaluate the various choices and develop your own preferences. You might be amazed at how differently things look after just a few dives.

Getting back to your question about local vs online shops, I totally get your dilemma. Many local dive shops in most parts of the country have woefully inadequate selections and are beholden to a specific brand or two. The knowledge and skills of dive shop staffs vary wildly; so it's tough to know who to trust.

Finally (sorry for the long post) it is your money, and you should spend it as you see fit. If you're not worried about spending more than you need to, then enjoy yourself!
I agree with you & Damselfish it's no big deal to use shop gear during the course. Same gear as everyone else including the instructor makes sense and makes it easy with demonstrations, as discussed before.
I did buy a new (used) wetsuit a few years ago. It was a gift from the kids, so I didn't get a chance to try it on. They picked size large (which I am for many things) and it fit fine.
I may have been lucky with choosing my first BC before (or during) taking OW course. I tried it on, it fit. Just replaced it 2 weeks ago after 16 years.

Gosh I thought I was spending too much in gear...
Unless you buy a drysuit I really don't see how you can spend 5k USD each in gear
I don't have the time to read everything but I will try a rough estimate:

the very basic gear for recreational diving is:
1) mask --> 70 new
2) regs --> 300 new or used but serviced like new
3) wetsuit --> 110 new (for hygiene purpose)
4) computer--> 80 second hand (you don't need a new one)
5) fins --> 50 second hand
6) BCD --> 250 new if you don't trust to buy second hand

Total 860 USD

If you come from Canada or similar you will need a drysuit. You can get a Seaskin from the UK let's say for about 1200 USD with undergarment, hood and many optionals and accessories

Total 2060

Unless you buy a drysuit I really don't see how you can spend 5k USD each in gear
I don't have the time to read everything but:

1) mask --> 70 new

Total 860 USD

If you come from Canada or similar you will need a drysuit. You can get a Seaskin from the UK let's say for about 1200 USD with undergarment, hood and many optionals and accessories

Total 2060

Prices are a little higher in the USA

1) mask --> 70 new

Total 860 USD

Total 2060

You raise an interesting point about second-hand gear. As a new diver, I didn't know enough about gear to know how to judge the condition of second-hand gear, so I bought everything new from the dive shop. I can completely understand a new diver's reluctance to buy second-hand gear. Nowadays, I believe I know what to look for, and I happily pick up bargains in second-hand gear.

There is a LOT of second-hand gear out there, and some of it is in like-new condition, often because a new diver bought all this wonderful gear from a dive shop and soon after either lost interest in diving or realized that gear was not right for him and bought different gear.

I can completely understand a new diver's reluctance to buy second-hand gear

So do I ...
Well for me when I was a newbie it worked like this:

1) mask --> could be second hand (though I bought new)
2) regs --> NO SECOND HAND (only new or used like new and just serviced)
3) wetsuit --> NO SECOND HAND (for hygienic purpose)
4) computer--> second hand (the computer works... or doesn't work; so second hand is fine)
5) fins and boots --> second hand
6) BCD --> NO SECOND HAND (too difficult to check for a newbie)

1) mask --> 70 new

Total 860 USD

Total 2060
Your costs seem reasonable and similar to what I probably spent when starting out.
Not everyone in Canada has a drysuit. I dive all winter wet (no more than 20 minutes, though).

Hog D3 Zenith Package with Computer
Computer + complete set of reg: $600.00

DGX BP/W: $349.00
DGX mask: $25.00
Mares AQ fins : $140.00(Leisurepro).
LP 5mm wet suit package(full suit+booties+gloves+hood): $170.00

Grand total of $1,264.00

For 5 grand that would include 2 wks of all inclusive non LoB diving in SE Asia(if opened).

Back
Top Bottom