Good Ways to Mount a Drysuit Bottle in Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bierstadt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello sidemounters;

For those sidemount divers who carry a separate drysuit bottle (because trimix), where do you put it?

I have seen:
-skip the bottle, run an inflator on your 50% deco bottle;
-bottom mounted on the butt plate/butt portion of the crotch strap/clipped below the hip strap;
-back mounted along the spine strap underneath the wing;
-tucked up against a primary tank.

I'd like some good ideas for an al6 in particular and how you made it work. I have tried mine on the side and the butt so far, I didn't love either with the half-hearted rigging I did to try out the locations. Thanks.

If you’re running heat, don’t use your 50% bottle.

Look to people diving the Sidewinder and Sidekick/T-Reb/Liberty for inspiration. A 6 is easier to hide. A 13 or 19 is slightly different but doable. Choice of location depends on your girth, how tight whatever it is you’re crawling through, harness, flexibility, whether you have light and or heat cans, and valve type.

What harness are you using?

Look to people diving the Sidewinder and Sidekick/T-Reb/Liberty for inspiration. A 6 is easier to hide. A 13 or 19 is slightly different but doable. Choice of location depends on your girth, how tight whatever it is you’re crawling through, harness, flexibility, whether you have light and or heat cans, and valve type.

What harness are you using?
I run an h-harness I built over several years with a Manta wing. I don't have any cannisters and I'm not penetrating anything at the moment, though that will change. I will take at look at the sidewinder guys, thanks.

I really wish we could get more data on this. I sidemount with my Choptima and I am running bailuent left , 50% right that I use for my suit. Fire is always on my mind.

To the OP, when I have Trimix in both tanks, I butt Mount an AL6. It’s so small I can’t even tell it’s there.

I really wish we could get more data on this. I sidemount with my Choptima and I am running bailuent left , 50% right that I use for my suit. Fire is always on my mind.

To the OP, when I have Trimix in both tanks, I butt Mount an AL6. It’s so small I can’t even tell it’s there.
@rjack321

Is a 6cuft enough for cave diving? I've heard mixed opinions on it.

I run an h-harness I built over several years with a Manta wing. I don't have any cannisters and I'm not penetrating anything at the moment, though that will change. I will take at look at the sidewinder guys, thanks.
Borrowed from the XDeep Stealth 2.0 Facebook Group. Credit to Andrew Rice and a couple other people.

For most people, I find butt or spine mounting it the cleanest option. It gets slightly more complicated with extra cans, a CCR, or grinding through super small things. You could also hose clamp boltsnaps to it and clip it off to the small rings on the back of SMS100/SMS75/Recon/old Nomad and the like, but it can flop around if you don’t add bungee loops. Look at old photos of Edd in his SMS100 and 75 for inspiration.

Attachments

• ACB8EDD2-4638-4CBB-9000-3A4A51881696.png
    ACB8EDD2-4638-4CBB-9000-3A4A51881696.png
    393.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 26FE037F-0BA5-4FC0-87B8-C918F7FD2B35.png
    26FE037F-0BA5-4FC0-87B8-C918F7FD2B35.png
    795.5 KB · Views: 365
Is a 6cuft enough for cave diving? I've heard mixed opinions on it.

I’m not qualified to make that assessment. I’ve been cave diving, I am not a cave diver. The best diving I have local access to is long scooter dives from shore so I am not forced to waste suit gas with ups and downs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom