Transmitters on Short Hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you mean that GUE divers would not be curious and/or would not accept it and/or understand it? May I ask you how many times you faced this problem, and how many GUE divers you met in your life?

My local area has a very strong GUE presence, all of my buddies are GUE trained, and I did fundies to check it out.

Curious is the last adjective I would use to describe their attitude about non standard configurations.

The main dive boat around here is primarily GUE. They will not leave the bay except for the GUE only charters. To get on their tech boat you must be GUE. So, I would say no, they are not accepting. I would be SHOCKED if they would let you do a sidemount tech dive off their boat.

How many times have I faced this problem? Zero. It is their boat, their rules. Compliance isn’t something I do well so I don’t even try. I would say it is them who has the problem; I fundamentally object to exclusionary policies especially when it comes to groups who want money from me.

...I fundamentally object to exclusionary policies especially when it comes to groups who want money from me.

I don't think that they want money out of you. They obviously have enough business to fill the boat with GUE divers.

That being said, I do think that this could promote group think, as it doesn't sound like they interact or dive with with non-GUE divers much. Which might explain the attitude difference you experience with BAUE vs what others experience with other GUE communities.

I don't think that they want money out of you. They obviously have enough business to fill the boat with GUE divers.

That being said, I do think that this could promote group think, as it doesn't sound like they interact or dive with with non-GUE divers much. Which might explain the attitude difference you experience with BAUE vs what others experience with other GUE communities.

I totally agree with all of that, and that’s why I openly acknowledge their boat and their rules; It would appear as though the boat and I are in violent agreement. I don’t think alienating potential customers is a smart business decision but its a free market.

The other GUE divers I’ve met while traveling are way less guilty of the exclusionary attitude.

The main dive boat around here is primarily GUE. They will not leave the bay except for the GUE only charters. To get on their tech boat you must be GUE. So, I would say no, they are not accepting. I would be SHOCKED if they would let you do a sidemount tech dive off their boat.

Ok, got it. Well, that sounds like a problem of the charter, not of the divers. I am GUE trained and I dive with an FFESSM diving club (Franch branch of CMAS), like most of my friends here in France. We have zero problems in diving with people with non-standard configurations, as long as we agree on safety procedures (which happens 100% of the times). Yes, we do prefer standard equipment, otherwise why choosing GUE? But that doesn't mean that we are not curious and investigative about other configurations.

Anyway, peace and love :)

EDIT:

The other GUE divers I’ve met while traveling are way less guilty of the exclusionary attitude.

So it is specific of that area... ok, got it.

Back
Top Bottom