Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who can afford a US lawyer?

A Chinese tourist that can leave the country is probably pretty well off. Also lawyers for these types of cases work on a contingency basis, getting a percentage of any award for little to no upfront costs. And language isn't an issue either, there are a number of Chinese law firms in California and NYC.

Anyways I doubt that story, particularly without some sort of hard news article, Chinese social media is well known for their made up stories.

At least 20 dives is a conservative minimum before using your drysuit for tech diving.
It still says that, and it is still good advice to have at least 20 drysuit dives before technical training. What does this have to do with this situation?
  1. This was not a technical dive.
  2. Advice is not a standard.

I'd like to ask what are you basing the 'most asians cannot swim' from and how solid is said evidence? seems to me youre either assuming or stereotyping which is downright just offensive to an entire race
Your opinion is valid. In Australia, learning to swim is a school curriculum. In China it may not be... The evidence is factual since one of my mentors runs his business mostly with Chinese clients. His quote: if he failed every Asian who couldn't swim, he would be out of business. I totally agree! Since you bought up the subject, I now address irrelevant training criteria. Being able to swim doesn't make you a good diver, nor does the underwater equipment exchange, or the 800 metre snorkel. Although a water sports background helps. These training modules are for Muppet divers. SDI use to have a don on/off gear while submerged but I believe it has been removed. As I have stated in previous comments: training agency manuals are outdated. The real experience lies with divers who have done it or are doing it. Not some schmuck who just got their instructor ticket and thinks they're ready to change the world.

It still says that, and it is still good advice to have at least 20 drysuit dives before technical training. What does this have to do with this situation?
  1. This was not a technical dive.
  2. Advice is not a standard.
Reasoning by elimination. The Instructor should of known she wasn't adept in a drysuit. One look at the deceased's logbook would verify this. I briefly gleaned the court transcripts and I believe it stated she had 5 or 6 dives. A duty of care by that particular Instructor has been negligent. Had she 20 dives in a drysuit she would be alive today. Had she been properly checked by a competent buddy she would be alive today. Had someone spoken up instead of toeing the company line she would be alive today.

kind of noticed that.

-K
an Asian who can swim.
doggie paddle at the very least.

-STI
an Asian who too can swim

Your opinion is valid. In Australia, learning to swim is a school curriculum. In China it may not be... The evidence is factual since one of my mentors runs his business mostly with Chinese clients. His quote: if he failed every Asian who couldn't swim, he would be out of business. I totally agree!

Still doesn't hide the fact that it sounds absolutely like stereotyping (trying not to use the R word) an entire race based on what your 'mentor' believes says. With that being said, i live in Asia and about 30% (which is far from "most") of the Asians i know can't swim to save their lives.

I am not by any means triggered by this, i just found that statement extremely distasteful and insulting to some. For your benefit, i do not totally disagree with some of the comments you posted in this thread as you've made valid points.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and state that most people can’t swim. And of those that can, fewer do it well.

-STI
an Asian who too can swim

Still doesn't hide the fact that it sounds absolutely like stereotyping (trying not to use the R word) an entire race based on what your 'mentor' believes says. With that being said, i live in Asia and about 30% (which is far from "most") of the Asians i know can't swim to save their lives.

I am not by any means triggered by this, i just found that statement extremely distasteful and insulting to some. For your benefit, i do not totally disagree with some of the comments you posted in this thread as you've made valid points.
One of my mentors is Chinese/Malay. If he's racist then so am I. One who prefers their own race over others. If I stated I was racially prejudiced, then that would be a major concern.

You're a novice instructor teaching children and young adolescents to be proficient divers. Your path is teaching from cue cards without any forethought in how it can be improved. Tell me how you train your students in navigation. Do you throw a towel over their heads?
That’s easy. I teach a nav/limited viz+night package where they have to navigate a dive site that I mapped including distances & directions. I do this during peak algae bloom where viz is less than 5 feet. If they are off too much, then they miss. We surface, go back to the starting point by using two landmarks and their compass settings.

That’s easy. I teach a nav/limited viz+night package where they have to navigate a dive site that I mapped including distances & directions. I do this during peak algae bloom where viz is less than 5 feet. If they are off too much, then they miss. We surface, go back to the starting point by using two landmarks and their compass settings.
You used the term: we. Does that mean you go along? Do you follow PADI's guideline when using the compass?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom