Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not private Montessori schools.

Some of the brightest, most innovative minds were Montessori students: the founders of Amazon, Google, Wikipedia, the designer of the first video game, etc. No rote learning here.

(Your friendly private Montessori school teacher.)
That is correct.

I have a buddy in their IDC now, I will not let him instructor me and he knows it.
Then, IMO and based upon my personal experience at "that school", that tells me what you think of your buddy's capabilities, or what you think of zero to hero as a model, rather than your comment being an accurate assessment of their instructor training.
But I also think you have some unchangeable opinions regarding that shop, and nothing I say will make a difference.

That is correct.
I should have said. Yes, private schools of the snobby academy for girls type (that my mom went to because the public school wouldn’t have her any more) are indeed a place to stay occupied without gaining much knowledge.

most of my friends send their kids to Montessori in Key West, as the public schools provide day care for the children of commercial fishermen. Once the Montessori kids reintegrate in 9th grade, and the fishermen’s kids drop out, some education gets done. Key west HS is actually well regarded.

It's asking a lot of anyone.

I know of a case in which a group of highly experienced divers did a search for a missing diver. The one who found the body tried to bring it to the surface (which was close at hand). For some reason the diver's gear (including a drysuit) had lost all gas, and he was unable to lift the body. He could have done all sorts of things to get that body up, as was done later by others, but this highly experienced diver was so thoroughly flustered that he could not think what to do. It is not a scenario we train for.
esp at depth with narcosis being a probable factor

Inexperienced diver put in as AOW student in the middle of drysuit class, sold used drysuit when her rental wetsuit was too cold, put into said drysuit without inflator hose attached by unqualified instructor working for dive shop currently in litigation for wrongful death of another diver because the shop rented scuba equipment to the prior dead diver who had no formal certification to dive. Did I get that all?

It's perhaps worth mentioning the 44 pounds of lead zipped in to various pockets and pouches. I don't know how big the deceased was, but that seems like a sh!t-ton of lead to permanently attached to, especially in fresh water.

It's perhaps worth mentioning the 44 pounds of lead zipped in to various pockets and pouches. I don't know how big the deceased was, but that seems like a sh!t-ton of lead to permanently attached to, especially in fresh water.
The picture I’ve seen she was an average sized athletic young woman. With an HP100, I’m using less about 25 lbs in a lake.

The picture I’ve seen she was an average sized athletic young woman. With an HP100, I’m using less about 25 lbs in a lake.
That was my impression as well. I didn't notice if the suit was a tri-lam or neoprene, but either way, it's a lot of lead to carry and not be able to ditch (obviously).

Someone else characterized this entire dive as a CF, and that sounds like an accurate conclusion to me.

As I mentioned earlier, almost none of that weight would be needed if you are actually diving without an inflated drysuit.

That was my impression as well. I didn't notice if the suit was a tri-lam or neoprene, but either way, it's a lot of lead to carry and not be able to ditch (obviously).

According to the Brooks diving website, they seem to only offer neoprene suits.

Is this still true today? When I ask this question of teachers and really drill down, it’s fact retention and memorization, at least for the public schools. those good teachers that teach critical thinking? They are off at private schools.

Nope. When I taught high school social studies, the only class the seniors had to take in 12th grade was American Government, and I taught all those courses at the local public high school. For awhile it seemed I was being too hard. Eventually I dumbed it down to where a third of the grade was seat time, a third was just turning in homework without it even having to be correct (just had to have a name and some scribbles), and a third was test scores. It should have been impossible to fail. But some kids still failed. At that point I got tired of dumbing things down, and upped the standards. The next term I told them they'd have six unit tests and a comprehensive final. Their grade would be based solely on test scores. They could come to class, and I'd be glad. They could do homework, and I'd comment on it, but only test scores would determine their grade. And scoring was from points possible, not from the highest score earned. Their first unit test was over a hundred questions. Almost none of it was memorize and regurgitate, it was mostly all application of concepts. Took me a long time to draft that test. If someone wanted to retake a test, they could, although then it became an essay test. I was worried there would be many class fails. But after that unit one test shocked them, they buckled down and there were actually fewer failures than under my dumbed down system. And a lot more learning/understanding. You know things are going well when a student launches into questions about how to merge features of an open and closed primary election, and suggests better ways to do things from out of their own head, without even having been asked to do so. Anyway, that's public school.

Now, that may seem off topic. But as I think back over my scuba classes and relate the two experiences, the scuba classes I took were all kind of like how I was functioning as a teacher at the most dumbed down level. None were at the higher level. Maybe one of the instructors in my scuba classes wasn't in there wasn't pencil whipping people through the scuba classes, but that would be pretty unusual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom