Out of air incident-psychological perspectives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which wreck were you diving on? I did a dive on the Lady Luck last year where one diver came back to the boat with 175 psi of air in his tank and the other diver was literally out of air. The boat captain rightly refused to let either diver go on the second dive. I should add that both divers were using aluminum 80s (not that it should matter).

I had to donate my regulator once to my buddy on a 100 foot reef dive because he went through his air so fast and wasn’t paying attention. He was supposed to let me know when he was at 1500 psi but he didn’t let me know till he was at 900. Out of an abundance of caution, I gave him my reg while I switched to the reg on my inflator and we ascended to our safety stop at which time he switched back to his reg. He was diving a 120 HP and I was diving a 100 HP. He ended up with about 300 psi and I ended up with about 1200 when we got back to the boat. Moral of the story is to not assume your dive partner will be monitoring their air like they should be.
This was on the Castor, in Boynton Beach.

I just remembered another OOA experience of mine, one that might well explain how it can happen--although I am at least partially to blame.

It was a refresher course in a swimming pool, with a group of 6 divers. We finished the equipment setup (including checking SPGs, of course) and moved on to predive safety check. When it came time to check air, I gave the standard warning about making sure that the tank valve was open by looking at the SPG while taking several breaths to make sure the needle doesn't drop.

A woman said, "So if the needle doesn't drop at all, you are OK?"

I replied, "It means your valve is open."

So we got into the pool and started working on skills. We were no more than 5 minutes into the session when she got a panicked look on her face and signalled OOA. I was fortunately right next to her and was able to donate. At the surface, I looked at her SPG and saw it was dead empty. "What was your SPG reading when you checked it?" I asked.

"It was down in the red," she said, "but the needle wasn't dropping, so I figured I was OK."

After that, I added a comment in my instruction about the amount of air that should be in the tank and why it is not a good idea to start a dive with an empty tank.

My favorite too, I have 120 dives on the Castor, never get tired of it, different every time :)
Current can be ripping on that wreck so I like to find a good viewing spot and hold onto the structure so I can watch the groupers and conserve my air at the same time. Just gotta be aware of the fire corals! LOL.

Current can be ripping on that wreck so I like to find a good viewing spot and hold onto the structure so I can watch the groupers and conserve my air at the same time. Just gotta be aware of the fire corals! LOL.
Wear gloves. Current can also be nothing. Then you can swim off the wreck and join the GG in their stacks, off the ship. There at at least a couple of Bull Sharks that call the Castor, home. The schools of Barracuda and Horse-Eye Jacks can be amazing. When the GG are in, the bait balls can be dazzling with the Jacks diving at them.

Back
Top Bottom