Difference between Expensive & Cheaper BP/W rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I currently have an Aqualung Axiom and am thinking about changing over to a minimalist BP/W set up. Simple metal BP with a 2" contiguous webbing harness. For vest BCs, it's pretty easy to see the different features that more expensive BC have vs cheaper ones. A very obvious, "you get what you pay for" situation. The same is true for nice padded, quickly re-adjustable BP/W harnesses.

Not being sufficiently familiar with BP/Ws, I'm at a loss for how this applies to the more basic kits though. For example, for a AL plate, 2" harness, and a 30 lb single wing:
What do you miss out on with the brands not well advertised in your LDS? Anything? Significant quality difference in the wing maybe? Thanks.

EDIT: I'm still working on AL vs Steel, because I dive locally cold & dry as well as traveling to warm and wet, but I needed to pick something for the examples. Seems there are LOOOOOTS of threads on that AL vs Steel, so I'll be continuing to reading up on that choice independently of this thread.

EDIT2: Oh, and affordable alternative kits that you like are welcome and encouraged! :)

the apeks BP is finished a little nicer with the electroplating, but functionally is not different. the apeks wing is slimmer and narrower than the hog, less tank taco and a little more streamlined. if you get the PSD version with the armoguard slick coating, it is tougher and also dries quickly.

my vote is for the DGX bpw package instead though.

DGX Custom - DGX Gears Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

If you're interested in quality but affordable options be sure to look at the Dive Gear Express DGX brands as well.

DGX BC Systems

I bought one of their SS plates and hogarthian harness. They are top quality. I use it with one of two wings ... Halcyon Eclipse 30# or Light Monkey 28#. I own both and rotate them.

EDIT: Too funny! @runsongas and I were posting the same thing at the same time!

HOG is fine. There is so little that manufacturers can do to differentiate their backplates and harnesses from each other, they resort to things like the finish. Witness Halcyon's polished stainless steel BP at over $200 (that's for the plate alone).

I once had a conversation with Paul Okishev, owner of Helium Dive Gear. He told me that the primary cost differentiator (note I did not say price) for backplates is how long they spend being machined (think nice smooth vs sharper edges) and finish.

EDIT: I'm still working on AL vs Steel, because I dive locally cold & dry as well as traveling to warm and wet, but I needed to pick something for the examples. Seems there are LOOOOOTS of threads on that AL vs Steel, so I'll be continuing to reading up on that choice independently of this thread.

I dive my 35# VDH wing in the tropics with a SS bp, feels fine to me. I wouldn't think about it too hard. I dive the same setup dry in the quarry, just with more weight.

My son dives the DGX system. It's nice but I prefer stiffer webbing. The wing and plate are fine (but that's just personal preference).

Edit: guess I should say 5# SS plate

On the AL vs SS I have three plates ... AL, 5# SS and 10# SS. The AL was for my doubles rig. I no longer dive doubles and therefore no longer use my AL plate. All my dives are wet these days and I dive my 5# plate with my 3mm suit and my 10# plate with my 5mm suit. That is all the ballast I carry. I have no additional lead.

Imagine the feel of a Freedom Plate hand made and contoured to your back

full.jpg

Personally numbered and for the same affordable price

Yeah, once you go down this path there is no such thing as one plate to rule them all. Get the SS plate for cold water. Then add a HOG aluminum plate for $95 for flying to warm water destinations. That's about the cost of a 2 tank boat dive.

Back
Top Bottom