Save the Goliath Grouper!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually think we should have a scuba license tax for non fishermen license holders that funds reef and estuary rebuilding.

This would increase funding for conservation and make all who are using the public resource are contributing their fair share.
Just as catch and release fisherman are required to purchase a Florida Fishing License, so should all Divers. Perhaps add a SCUBA Stamp like Snook and Lobster

Just as catch and release fisherman are required to purchase a Florida Fishing License, so should all Divers. Perhaps add a SCUBA Stamp like Snook and Lobster
I would not support a tax on top of a fishing license, but in the absence of a fishing license a $10 annual fee that funds conservation wouldn't be a bad thing. Of course it's still a lost cause if we don't address the overpopulation and development problem.

Got no problem with user taxes for attractions paid for solely by Florida taxpayers but if the Fed supplies any dough then the tourists have already contributed. We got a bed tax on tourists already and it generates some serious revenue.
Mickey, Universal and Busch also generate unholy amounts of tax revenue first and second hand.

Got no problem with user taxes for attractions paid for solely by Florida taxpayers but if the Fed supplies any dough then the tourists have already contributed. We got a bed tax on tourists already and it generates some serious revenue.
Mickey, Universal and Busch also generate unholy amounts of tax revenue first and second hand.
The majority of tourism revenue actually comes from Florida residents, traveling within the state. That said, out-of-state guests who come to fish, have to have a license, unless their charter vessel covers them. Should be the same with diving. Out-of-state visitors coming to dive on our reefs and wrecks should not mind chipping in to fund conservation efforts through a license.

There are many fisherman who are strictly catch and release. They are required to have a license. Just like Snook and Lobster, the FWC should require a SCUBA/REBREATHER stamp. This would give all divers a chance to help fund the resource. It is time for the Diving Community to help.
SCUBA/Rebreather stamp for all divers? Or just those who spearfish? If the latter, why should they pay double? Plus, spearfishing on rebreathers is illegal in FL waters.

I’m not a fan of a Scuba tax, and I feel it would be a tough one to collect. Though, on one hand, I do understand the desire for those who use the resource to share in its cost. A renewable license to dive is not going to go over very well. Overall, the Scuba Industry in the US has resisted government regulation in favor of self-regulation. Further, additional usage taxes won’t be very popular as well. Especially among those divers that also harvest. They already pay for a fishing license, plus appropriate stamps. Diving is not a cheap sport to begin with. I certainly don’t want to pay more, but I already support the resource through fishing licenses and boat registration.

A yearly, perhaps with a weekly option, for a scuba permit, is a fine idea to fund marine conservation activities. They could be issued by operators, like Bonaire Marine Park used to be, or they could simply be available online.

A yearly, perhaps with a weekly option, for a scuba permit, is a fine idea to fund marine conservation activities. They could be issued by operators, like Bonaire Marine Park used to be, or they could simply be available online.
I guess that might work in many cases, but if operator issued, they would miss those that dive on private boats, might be OK when you consider boat ramp fees and registration fees for using the resource. Waiving the fee for those that have a fishing license would be good. That would probably cover the vast majority of the boat owners as most around here use their private boats for fishing.

The majority of tourism revenue actually comes from Florida residents, traveling within the state. That said, out-of-state guests who come to fish, have to have a license, unless their charter vessel covers them. Should be the same with diving. Out-of-state visitors coming to dive on our reefs and wrecks should not mind chipping in to fund conservation efforts through a license.

I'm a good example of this. I generate quite a bit of "tourist revenue" for the state. I live in SWFL (Lee County) and travel to SEFL (Palm Beach and Broward Counties) once a month to dive. When you add up my hotel, meals, charters, fills, fuel, tolls and miscellaneous expenses for that weekend X 12 months a year it adds up pretty quickly. So even though I'm a Florida resident I'm also a Florida tourist.

IF the money were put to good conservation use I would be happy to pay an annual scuba permit fee to dive.

SCUBA/Rebreather stamp for all divers? Or just those who spearfish? If the latter, why should they pay double? Plus, spearfishing on rebreathers is illegal in FL waters.

I’m not a fan of a Scuba tax, and I feel it would be a tough one to collect. Though, on one hand, I do understand the desire for those who use the resource to share in its cost. A renewable license to dive is not going to go over very well. Overall, the Scuba Industry in the US has resisted government regulation in favor of self-regulation. Further, additional usage taxes won’t be very popular as well. Especially among those divers that also harvest. They already pay for a fishing license, plus appropriate stamps. Diving is not a cheap sport to begin with. I certainly don’t want to pay more, but I already support the resource through fishing licenses and boat registration.

Many of us have Fishing Licenses, Boat Registrations but also pay for a Snook Stamp, Lobster Stamp, Migratory Species Permit. I can agree that a Florida Fishing License with an additional stamp is reasonable to cover SCUBA. But the days that the divers ride for free should end.

I'm a good example of this. I generate quite a bit of "tourist revenue" for the state. I live in SWFL (Lee County) and travel to SEFL (Palm Beach and Broward Counties) once a month to dive. When you add up my hotel, meals, charters, fills, fuel, tolls and miscellaneous expenses for that weekend X 12 months a year it adds up pretty quickly. So even though I'm a Florida resident I'm also a Florida tourist.

IF the money were put to good conservation use I would be happy to pay an annual scuba permit fee to dive.

Most of the money you spend supports the businesses you patronize. Tourist taxes fund advertising and events to promote the area. Boat registrations and fishing licenses do support conservation and projects such as creating artificial reefs and managing fish stocks and reef restoration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom