Need a flag/float - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No boats? Then requiring a flag is just stupid. That would be like Gilboa, Haigh or Whitestar requiring a flag. That's what happens when bureaucrats and lawyers make the rules
The law clearly makes an exception for designated swimming-only areas, so you do not need a flag if this place qualifies.

We have to tow a flag pretty much all the time on shore dives (it sucks but you get used to it). My current flag is this
BE6F4BB4-87CF-4BCD-B3EE-9462A3757A5D.jpeg

It will tow easily through the water, it will stay upright, and it will not compress and become negative if you accidentally pull it under. I have a dry box attached under the flag for my GPS phone.

It is not a lifesaving device. If you need something to hold onto to stay afloat, either pump up your BCD or ditch weights.

Styrofoam and pool noodles compress and become negative if the are pulled under. And if you think pulling a float along the surface is annoying, wait until you are dragging it across the bottom....

EDIT: IMHO, Styrofoam is one of those materials that just says “I don’t give a **** about the environment”. Divers that use those ball floats lose lots of competency points when I see them.

Marie,

I didn't read through this whole thread so excuse me if I'm repeating opinions. I've done plenty of inland lake diving here. I've used some of the Styrofoam bullet/ball floats and found them too easy to pull down on. You will have boats and waverunners around you and want to know you're being seen. I use a trailer tire innertube. It can be used as additional lift if necessary and you can put a small basket in it which may come in handy. A simple line wrap is easy to use for what you're doing and is very quick to wrap/unwrap. Keep the line tight and the float isn't as hard to handle. My gallery has pictures of my float.

We have to tow a flag pretty much all the time on shore dives (it sucks but you get used to it).
Yeah, we get used to it, and it DOES suck. :Extreme Sarcasm:

Topsiders dictate the legality of our dives while they use our flags for their topside sports...

Many, many more topsiders than us, it is a game of numbers. The roots of this conflict are envy. We live below the water, they don't.

I found my safe happy place. Tidal back bays in the middle of the night. Yes, flag AND unrequired flag light (a simple flag is freaking useless at night). Critters galore, the critters change with the season. The boaters that annoy me never change, but they are (most of them) sleeping off a drunk at this time of day/night.

Styrofoam and pool noodles compress and become negative if the are pulled under. And if you think pulling a float along the surface is annoying, wait until you are dragging it across the bottom....

It's never happened to me nor have I ever seen any on the bottom at the shore diving sites I've used. Not saying it's not possible (hard to prove a negative) just that I've never seen it.

IMHO, Styrofoam is one of those materials that just says “I don’t give a **** about the environment”. Divers that use those ball floats lose lots of competency points when I see them.

How is your foam float (in your photo) any better environmentally than "pool noodle" or "styrofoam" floats? It's still a man-made material that doesn't break down, will still be on this earth once we're all dead and needs to be handled and disposed of properly. I honestly don't see the difference. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Do any of these sites have flag requirements?

View attachment 657328 View attachment 657329

We have to tow a flag pretty much all the time on shore dives (it sucks but you get used to it). My current flag is this
View attachment 658046
It will tow easily through the water, it will stay upright, and it will not compress and become negative if you accidentally pull it under. I have a dry box attached under the flag for my GPS phone.

It is not a lifesaving device. If you need something to hold onto to stay afloat, either pump up your BCD or ditch weights.

EDIT: IMHO, Styrofoam is one of those materials that just says “I don’t give a **** about the environment”. Divers that use those ball floats lose lots of competency points when I see them.

The hard shelled foam float does not compress and does not easily go underwater. If I hooked off on the reef in brisk current, it may, temporarily be underwater. Of course, large dive buoys attached to a wreck go underwater in brisk current.

Yeah, we get used to it, and it DOES suck. :Extreme Sarcasm:

Topsiders dictate the legality of our dives while they use our flags for their topside sports...

Many, many more topsiders than us, it is a game of numbers. The roots of this conflict are envy. We live below the water, they don't.

I found my safe happy place. Tidal back bays in the middle of the night. Yes, flag AND unrequired flag light (a simple flag is freaking useless at night). Critters galore, the critters change with the season. The boaters that annoy me never change, but they are (most of them) sleeping off a drunk at this time of day/night.

But they could join you. [cough] Drain Plugs [cough] :argh:

Back
Top Bottom