Regulator test rig you don't need to suck.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, should I use 6v, 9v, or 12v to run this thing?

6v is 0.3A,
9v is 1A,
12v is 5A

9v @ 1A I think the best choice

Might have others lying around...

Edit - speed.controller is 2A, so my 12v is out....

That should be a really easy one: what is your motor rated for? If it’s a 12 V motor, use 12 V. If it’s a 9 V motor, use 9 V. The pulse width modulation of the motor controller will take care of slowing it down by giving it spaced-out bursts of voltage (i.e. pulses, with varying widths to modulate the speed...), but the voltage should be what the motor expects.

If that is what @Open Ocean Diver was commenting about, then I completely missed that. I thought he was talking about whether the motor would be happy with PWM or not, but I assumed that the voltage being passed to the motor was the same as the voltage the motor was rated for. If I was wrong, then I both apologize and agree with him.

Use a power supply that supplies the voltage that the motor expects, with a current rating at least as high as what the motor will pull at full speed. Higher is fine: it’s no problem to supply less current than its maximum.

My bad, yes, the motor is 12v, the speed controller accept various voltages....

That should be a really easy one: what is your motor rated for? If it’s a 12 V motor, use 12 V. If it’s a 9 V motor, use 9 V. The pulse width modulation of the motor controller will take care of slowing it down by giving it spaced-out bursts of voltage (i.e. pulses, with varying widths to modulate the speed...), but the voltage should be what the motor expects.

If that is what @Open Ocean Diver was commenting about, then I completely missed that. I thought he was talking about whether the motor would be happy with PWM or not, but I assumed that the voltage being passed to the motor was the same as the voltage the motor was rated for. If I was wrong, then I both apologize and agree with him.

Use a power supply that supplies the voltage that the motor expects, with a current rating at least as high as what the motor will pull at full speed. Higher is fine: it’s no problem to supply less current than its maximum.
My little motor at 12 volts draws .200 amps, and will give me +5 in. H20 (maximum), with the vent open and LP shut off. Which is more than enough to do cracking effort and leak testing.

My little motor at 12 volts draws .200 amps, and will give me +5 in. H20 (maximum), with the vent open and LP shut off. Which is more than enough to do cracking effort and leak testing.

I will know more about power needs once the "mouthpiece" parts arrive from ScubaTools. Thanks! From that picture and description, it seems they have gone to a permanently tapped hose barb.

Triad one of those little PWM PS on my motor, thought it would be cool to run it from a battery. But no go on a brushless motor. Cheep experiment.

Back
Top Bottom