Back inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make no mistake "I3" is unique. I also have no experience on it so my opinion ONLY.
I like to keep everything simple and "I3" is just the complete opposite.
"Zeagle" makes great back inflated BC.
I am not a fan of integrated weight system in whatever from. Nothing beats simple weight belt. But I also believe in not to put all the egg in one basket so combination of various methods to solve large amount of lead is a sensible approach.

It is showing its age and wearing out. Since it is not a name brand BC I can't get replacement parts for it. So want to upgrade before something does break on it.

Since manufacturers only support their gear for so long, you will run into the can't get replacement parts again, which is minimized in a BP/W. Check out the Freedom Plate, which is a BP made specifically for recreational diving. Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

I have one, it is nice.

Good luck on your search

Bob

I love my Zeagle Express Tech. I almost never use my DSS BP/W anymore.
I got mine without the ripcord system - just the zippered pockets with a velcro enclosed bottom to quickly dump weights (zip-touch system). Not sure if they still offer that option.
The ET gets some great reviews on SB.

So, looking into upgrading my current BC, which is currently a back inflate that I don't care for. I am not interested in a BP/W as I will not be doing doubles, tech dives, cave, and/or penetration dives. I only dive Rec dives on reefs on outside of wrecks with a max depth of 120 feet. Any suggestions on a really good Back Inflate would appreciated. I have been looking at the Hollis HD200, Apeks Black Ice, AquaLung Dimension, and even the AquaLung Rogue and Outlaw. My nearest LDS is 1.5 hrs away. So kind of hard to go try the fit of a BC.

Personally I don't understand how people can buy a BC without trying it on. It's an expensive purchase - the 1.5 hours each way is absolutely worth it.

I made several trips to an area about an hour away researching my purchase.

I found I absolutely, strongly hated the feel of all the Aqualung ones. Now, that's me - others are happy with them. I went for Oceanic Excursion just recently. Aqualung Dimension was the first one I was particularly interested in researching online. Had I gone with that, sight unseen, I would have been very unhappy.

If you're not travelling with it then you probably can rule out the travel oriented ones.

Plenty of threads on the Aqualung i3 inflator on here - general feedback is positive.

Dive computer and reg are the only essential items that I can buy based purely on recommendation only. Never done that though
BC, booties, fins, mask and suit; NO chance.

Just goes to show different fits. I like the dimension, prefer my halycon but like the dimension.

Just goes to show different fits. I like the dimension, prefer my halycon but like the dimension.
Exactly - and I mentioned plenty of people are happy with theirs. Different fits and preference. My intention wasn't to steer OP away from buying the dimension, but just highlighting the risk of buying without trying it on.

a 3 hour round trip is absolutely worth it to get the right gear - but you want to plan it out, have a really good idea of what models you're looking at (and why) - and also call the store first to ensure they have the right models and sizes in stock

I can't emphasise that last bit enough if you're doing a long trip - even if they have it on their website it might not be in the store.

Dive computer and reg are the only essential items that I can buy based purely on recommendation only. Never done that though
BC, booties, fins, mask and suit; NO chance.

Agree. Well....wetsuit I bought online without trying, but only because there seems to be very few wetsuits I'm interested in in stores.

However, I made sure the store I bought it from had a satisfaction guarantee - so if I didn't like it, I just had to pay return postage (and I did that once).

I've never understood how people buy shoes online either, without trying them on......

Exactly - and I mentioned plenty of people are happy with theirs. Different fits and preference. My intention wasn't to steer OP away from buying the dimension, but just highlighting the risk of buying without trying it on.

a 3 hour round trip is absolutely worth it to get the right gear - but you want to plan it out, have a really good idea of what models you're looking at (and why) - and also call the store first to ensure they have the right models and sizes in stock

I can't emphasise that last bit enough if you're doing a long trip - even if they have it on their website it might not be in the store.

Agree. Well....wetsuit I bought online without trying, but only because there seems to be very few wetsuits I'm interested in in stores.

However, I made sure the store I bought it from had a satisfaction guarantee - so if I didn't like it, I just had to pay return postage (and I did that once).

I've never understood how people buy shoes online either, without trying them on......

Totally agree and to emphasize trying it on.

By the size charts the dimension shouldn't fit right. In person it fits me great.

Zeagle Stiletto is a great versatile BC. Serves me great in any type of conditions and in any temperatures - from winter dry suit dives in New England, to Cozumel and Florida. I'm also able to pack it into a carry on bag along with all my other gear while traveling by air.

As far as the ripcord system is concerned, I don't think you are any more likely to lose weights with it compared to the pockets, but you will definitely not be practicing ditching weights with it as often as you might with the pockets. I prefer to not mess with it.

Back
Top Bottom