Manado Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, sadly true

But let's keep a positive thought
I am but I have to be realistic.
A lot of established places in HK especially the retail business had folded for the obvious reason. And I am really surprised that most airlines are still in business while debt piles up everyday.

The distribution of vaccines to the less fortunate should speed up asap.

I have not been to Murex Bangka since 2008, so I have no idea if it's still like this, but was great diving, and you your huts can be right on the beach. It was rustic, and there was never enough food to go around, and cold drinks were worth their weight in gold, but. after a week you got used to it. I was lucky/smart I purchased a lot of snacks on the trip to the shuttle boat, otherwise it would have been a crash diet, after spending 4-5 hours in the water every day. The photos look the same as it was 12 years ago.

Bjs
Very helpful, this review your stay of 13 years ago. :) This was stupid of me. Sorry.

The diving must have been really remarkable in 2008!
Imagine I dived Bangka in 2002 at the time Murex had a couple of bungalows mainland in front of Batu Mandi. I still remember that first dive on Sahaung, it was never matched. (Yes I know Indah, you'll tell me that's not helpful either).

Imagine I dived Bangka in 2002 at the time Murex had a couple of bungalows mainland in front of Batu Mandi. I still remember that first dive on Sahaung, it was never matched. (Yes I know Indah, you'll tell me that's not helpful either).

My first dive on Sahaung has never been matched for me either. It's going to be difficult to catch another octopus hunting and displaying turquoise as it goes, across one of the walls!

Oh Sahaung, I miss you so.

I shot this in Sahaung.

B6A4C66B-9477-4716-98E9-839A351C3A4B.jpeg

You are not evaluating a resort. But telling how you remember a dive. I have been diving there around the same time (2000) and I know what you mean. Still tenths of white tips sleeping under the table corals between 5 and 10 meters depth. And of course the amazing corals and schools of fish. You see, even you and I sometimes agree :wink:

Murex in Manado is not bad. It didn't have a camera room as they do in Bangka or Lembeh Resort, but it does have a very nice house reef which is good for macro and night dives.

If you need a DIN fitting for your first stage it's best to contact them beforehand as they didn't have any when I was there in 2015.

Consider getting over to Bangka instead if you can. I've stayed at Murex both at Monado and at Bangka and been reasonably satisfied, with a caveat on making sure which cabin you get at Murex Bangka. In these regards, it needs to be said that the divers need to wade into the boats from shore, for both boarding and deboarding. This can be a chore or even somewhat dangerous if seas are sporty.

As yet, I've not stayed at Bastianos new resort on Bangka but it looks good to me, with a pool and a dock for boarding and deboarding.

Then again, it's going to be very difficult for Bastianos to beat the beach beauty of Murex Bangka and their shore dive site.

Came here to say this exactly.

I stayed at Murex Manado, then took a boat (with two dives along the way) to Murex Bangka and then to Lembeh.

I would skip Manado and go directly to Bangka and like ChillyCanadian said, get the hill cabins at Murex. They're new and really nice.

I have been to Bangka 3 times but never been to Manado, when ever I spoke to someone that has been to both they all have been pretty adamant that Bangka trumps Manado!

Blue Bay Divers is a great little spot, and the new Bastiano's resort looks amazing.

BUT as per Indah's comments I highly doubt you will be able to get into Indo in Sept...

I cancelled the Manado portion of my trip today. It was too late to cancel Lembeh, but they are going to try and sell my space so I could be credited. I doubt the workshop will happen, so today I booked one in Anilao preceded by a week at Tulamben in next April.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom