Supporting my local dive shop(s) is frustrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many have suggested to stay away from buying the BC and regulator until after the course. It's not a bad idea. I will say that I bought those two things either right before or during the course. I just replaced the BCD last week after buying it used in 2005 and still use the used Mares reg I bought back then. My thought was as long as it fits and is safe it's good enough for me.

Have you talked to your instructor about equipment choices?

Are you buying an air compressor too? As no one is going to rent you tanks or fill your tanks without you first being certified.

My instructor recommended the integrated air/inflator. He uses one. The dive shop he's affiliated with recommended them too.

I'm pretty sure that I don't need an air compressor or tanks. The shop provides tanks for all of my training classes I am taking to become certified, and even after I am certified, I don't plan on traveling with tanks or filling my own tanks. Any place I will be going to dive will have tanks for rental.

People have posted some very good advice but I'll add in another layer - I would highly, highly recommend renting and physically trying out as many different gear options as you can, particularly for your wife. Typically designed scuba gear can be uncomfortable, too large, or too long for easy beginner use for us women and I (anecdotally) meet many more women than men who regretted gear purchases and had to return or sell gear and try again because it simply didn't work for their bodies.

What are your plans after the OW class?
- A dive trip to the tropics the next month?
- Weekend dives off the coast?
- Dives with friends that already dive?
- Any future class plans?

To clear something up:
When I recommend being well drilled in any unfamiliar gear you brought to class, I meant in terms of putting it on, that it fit, where the main buckles and controls were. All on land, not breathing underwater with it before class. Practicing underwater is not recommended until you are trained, which is why shops should not be renting you tanks until then. Which is where the question about you getting a compressor came from. Hopefully that clears that up a bit.

Three out of four of your dive shops recommending the octo inflator does not speak well for them, particularly in the midst of covid.

What are your plans after the OW class?
- A dive trip to the tropics the next month?
- Weekend dives off the coast?
- Dives with friends that already dive?
- Any future class plans?

To clear something up:
When I recommend being well drilled in any unfamiliar gear you brought to class, I meant in terms of putting it on, that it fit, where the main buckles and controls were. All on land, not breathing underwater with it before class. Practicing underwater is not recommended until you are trained, which is why shops should not be renting you tanks until then. Which is where the question about you getting a compressor came from. Hopefully that clears that up a bit.

Three out of four of your dive shops recommending the octo inflator does not speak well for them, particularly in the midst of covid.

I'm not worried about Covid. I've had it. My wife has had it. We're not going to catch it. We're not going to transmit it. Most folks I know have either had Covid or have been vaccinated. I'm not going to make equipment choices based on Covid. I'm a lot more worried about whether the length of the tube on my primary regulator is adequate than I am about whether I'm going to transmit Covid by handing the primary off to my buddy.

I would not expect dive shops to rent tanks before I am certified. Prior to certification, all of my training will be done as part of a class or under the guidance of an instructor. The instructor will supply our tanks in those cases.

As for our plans after our OW certification:

We're going to the Caribbean in June, looking at a liveaboard trip to either Hawaii, Polynesia or Australia later this year, and a trip to Mexico with some friends who dive a lot (dates tbd.)

Will likely take some additional more advanced classes and participate in local trips organized by our scuba shop. We've done some snorkeling in various Mediterranean locations and are looking at some scuba options there too.

All the "try before you buy" advice is not particularly useful when my only option for trying out gear is to rent gear that is designed for the rental market. I don't see any dive shops renting out a wide spectrum of high end gear, and if they do have any, it's typically confined to a single manufacturer. The shop that is affiliated with my classes carries only Scubapro gear. If I want to try out something else from a different manufacturer, I can't, unless I sign up for a class at a different shop.

If there were a simple way to rent a wide variety of top tier gear from a bunch of manufacturers, and try before I buy, I would go that route. Nothing of that nature is on offer, however. Again, it goes back to the theme of my original post that purchasing dive gear is not that simple and the dive shops are not really in a position to make it any easier. They can't even seem to keep basic inventory in stock. I don't see it as remotely possible that they're going to make a huge variety of high end rental gear available in every size for folks who just want to try it all out.

At the end of the day, it's not that big a deal. The item that seems most likely to cause fit and performance issues is the BCD, and if I end up replacing it with something else, that's not the end of the world. The rest of my kit (other than the inflator/second) is pretty standard stuff and I can't imagine that I will have too much difficulty with it.

New to scuba.

Trying to get my own gear for myself and my wife.

With all of the gear, I'm spending around $10k.

I'd like to purchase at my local dive shops. I've got 4 of them in my general vicinity.

The problem is that they don't have much inventory on hand, and some only carry stuff from a single manufacturer. None of them seem to stock a wide range of gear and their inventory is limited, even for basic items like regulators and bcds. I understand that they are small operations, and they can't afford to keep a bunch of capital tied up in inventory, but being able to try on and/or handle gear before you buy is one of the benefits of buying from a local dive shop.

Trying to order things that they don't have in stock is not very user friendly. The answer to the question of "when can I get it" is typically something along the lines of "I'm expecting a shipment from that manufacturer some time in the next couple of weeks and there might be one of those in that shipment." Either that or, "I can order it for you and you can get it in the next couple of weeks" or "that's on backorder, I don't know when it will be available."

If you are going to run a store and only carry limited inventory, it seems like you need to have an arrangement with your manufacturer/distributor that gets you the gear the customer wants in a couple of days. I'm trying to get my gear in hand before my open water class. Waiting an indefinite amount of time is not a great option for me.

The few things I could find at my local dive shops (either in stock or with a firm delivery date,) I've purchased at the local dive shops. The rest, I've bought online, often at lower prices and generally with free, 2 day delivery.

If this is the typical local dive shop retail model, then it's broken. They better be able to make their money from classes and trips and the like because online retail is going to push their storefront business to extinction.
Since manufacturers rely on the middleman to import the stock, they may not be able to consign stock to every dealer. Perhaps in the future, manufacturers will cut out the middleman and work exclusively with local dive shops.

New to scuba.

Trying to get my own gear for myself and my wife.

With all of the gear, I'm spending around $10k.

I'd like to purchase at my local dive shops. I've got 4 of them in my general vicinity.

The problem is that they don't have much inventory on hand, and some only carry stuff from a single manufacturer. None of them seem to stock a wide range of gear and their inventory is limited, even for basic items like regulators and bcds. I understand that they are small operations, and they can't afford to keep a bunch of capital tied up in inventory, but being able to try on and/or handle gear before you buy is one of the benefits of buying from a local dive shop.

Trying to order things that they don't have in stock is not very user friendly. The answer to the question of "when can I get it" is typically something along the lines of "I'm expecting a shipment from that manufacturer some time in the next couple of weeks and there might be one of those in that shipment." Either that or, "I can order it for you and you can get it in the next couple of weeks" or "that's on backorder, I don't know when it will be available."

If you are going to run a store and only carry limited inventory, it seems like you need to have an arrangement with your manufacturer/distributor that gets you the gear the customer wants in a couple of days. I'm trying to get my gear in hand before my open water class. Waiting an indefinite amount of time is not a great option for me.

The few things I could find at my local dive shops (either in stock or with a firm delivery date,) I've purchased at the local dive shops. The rest, I've bought online, often at lower prices and generally with free, 2 day delivery.

If this is the typical local dive shop retail model, then it's broken. They better be able to make their money from classes and trips and the like because online retail is going to push their storefront business to extinction.
With the money you are both spending , take a flight to Florida and try on the gear at some popular dive shop.

Or perhaps to your and all the other only one set of gear ever people trying to direct his life, dissatisfaction, he just knows what he is doing

Or perhaps to your dissatisfaction he just knows what he is doiing

Someone who has never been in the water, I doubt it.

I have never seen or heard of a shop recommend the air 2 things much less 4.

Having everyone agree here on SB is a very rare thing. And yet he has ignored everyone and insisted he knows better.

Finally I have zero stake in how the OP throws out money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom