Suit filed in case of "Girl dead, boy injured at Glacier National Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

She did say this on Jim's FB accident group:

Just remember there are two sides to every story. The majority of that complaint is absolutely false. There is no way it will go to trial. The only person that could have saved her life was the person that was too busy taking pictures. Bob Gentry.

I can't understand how anyone could say this.
So wait. According to the complaint, Bob Gentry was a student. The instructor allowed a student to carry a camera? And then blames a student for not saving another student? Is she insane?

So wait. According to the complaint, Bob Gentry was a student. The instructor allowed a student to carry a camera? And then blames a student for not saving another student? Is she insane?
Yes. Yes. Not qualified to answer.

Yep. Can we say coverup?

The GoPro was on his wrist taking video automatically.

Yes, the instructor allowed the student to wear the GoPro.
Yes, she publicly blamed the student for being too busy "taking pictures" which are actually presumably screen grabs from the video after the dive.
Yes, she publicly blamed the student for not being able to save her other student.

She also elsewhere blamed her lack of awareness and control of her students on not being able to clear her ears to get to them "4 feet below" her. If the allegations in the Complaint are true, she was above communicating and near other students during most of the incident. During the early parts, she was oblivious to the victim's distress despite being close by or later when Bob was trying to get her attention or during Linnea's freefall or even after the fact that any incident occurred, according to the Complaint.

Thank God that the student Bob wore a GoPro that was recording, otherwise this would have gone down with the instructor's/dive shop's original story that she panicked and essentially plummeted unavoidably to her death.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Let's try not to drift too far off topic here please.

Keep in mind that we haven't seen the legal response to this claim by the "Defendants"
Yes, the part that gives me pause is that, apparently, the defendants weren't charged with manslaughter. Still, even if only half is true, it's pretty damning.

Nothing to add to the observations here.
However, I'm surprised at not a single comment re: PADI being named as a defendant.
Perhaps we're all so inured to them successfully dodging any responsibility via the waivers and lawyers on their staff. Perhaps the earlier death was too close to this one, and they can claim they were "working the issue."

Still, part of me says there is at least some merit to the complaint that if you're going to claim all this "oversight" as a component of your marketing, you ought to have some responsibility to actually make that info public. I'd rather see them defending against lawsuits filed by expelled members than lawsuits filed by families of deceased students.

I'll be closely watching this suit regarding this particular corporate defendant.

That legal brief was absolutely wild to read (and well done). What a horrific and absolutely avoidable incident with a mind-boggling number of nearly unfathomable lapses.

I hope there is justice for Linnea and E.G. Also, poor Bob.

One thing....I understood from the brief that the diver had weight pockets in her BCD with 20-24 lbs of lead. It implied that she hadn't been show how to release them to drop the weights.

The weights in her BC were ZIPPED into BC pockets. Not in detachable weight pockets. There was another 20 lbs in her zipped drysuit thigh pockets.

The weights in her BC were ZIPPED into BC pockets. Not in detachable weight pockets. There was another 20 lbs in her zipped drysuit thigh pockets.

44 lbs unditchable weight. And no inflation hose. Both apparently known by the instructor. Clearly she missed the lecture on duty of care.

Insanely stupid. Criminal even IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom