Fiji 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also very interested in whether there is even a remote chance of Fiji reopening. I have had a Tonga trip booked for end of September 2021 for the past 2 years and the plan (and my reservations with a hefty deposit) was to fly via Fiji and spend the first week there diving in Savusavu. Knock on wood, I should also be fully vaccinated before September.... and even though Fiji has started their AZ rollout (with hotel and tourism workers in a priority list of people to be vaccinated before the general population), I am really worried it is not going to happen. And if I can't get to Fiji, I can't get to Tonga!

If anyone has the insider downlow, would love to hear it!

I am also very interested in whether there is even a remote chance of Fiji reopening. I have had a Tonga trip booked for end of September 2021 for the past 2 years and the plan (and my reservations with a hefty deposit) was to fly via Fiji and spend the first week there diving in Savusavu. Knock on wood, I should also be fully vaccinated before September.... and even though Fiji has started their AZ rollout (with hotel and tourism workers in a priority list of people to be vaccinated before the general population), I am really worried it is not going to happen. And if I can't get to Fiji, I can't get to Tonga!

If anyone has the insider downlow, would love to hear it!
Extremely unlikely Fiji will open to any country except Australia and New Zealand and some other South Pacific countries. Australia and NZ will open a tourist bubble in a few weeks and it is expected that other Covid free countries will also join. Since most of their tourist income comes from Australia and NZ, they are not going to let people from non-bubble countries in as Australia and NZ would then expel Fiji from the bubble.

A big Australian tour operator told us yesterday that maybe Americans could go on a 2023 trip. Not the October 2022 one we hoped for.
If that's right, looks like Fiji will be 2023 also for Americans?
At this rate will have lost 3 of my remaining active years for Fiji and Australia.
Hope our Komodo trip in 2022 works.

A big Australian tour operator told us yesterday that maybe Americans could go on a 2023 trip. Not the October 2022 one we hoped for.
If that's right, looks like Fiji will be 2023 also for Americans?
At this rate will have lost 3 of my remaining active years for Fiji and Australia.
Hope our Komodo trip in 2022 works.
Crazy as Americans will be the most broadly vaccinated group very shortly!! I was supposed to go to Taveuni last August - rescheduled to this Aug which I expect to be cancelled shortly. I wonder what resorts or Dive Ops can actually survive without significant tourism until 2023?

I know, but Fiji gets a lot of biz from Aussies and Kiwis and since they can't go anywhere else, will probably make up for no Americans. Trying to figure out where else to go that isn't full of crazies.

I know, but Fiji gets a lot of biz from Aussies and Kiwis and since they can't go anywhere else, will probably make up for no Americans. Trying to figure out where else to go that isn't full of crazies.
Good luck and I hope the businesses survive!

Fiji now has quite a few cases of Covid, so unlikely to be able to "bubble" with Australia and New Zealand for quite some time.

Following this thread with interest, as well as following the news from Fiji. The latest outbreak sees 258 active cases in isolation right now. The response from the government seems very focused, very stringent, and they just lifted restrictions in the Northern area (even though that decision has raised public concern). Provided my work visa makes it through the process, I hope to be arriving very early July for a 2.5 year contract in Suva. Good luck to those trying to come for a visit, and for those of us trying to get in for work :wink:
Rich

Following this thread with interest, as well as following the news from Fiji. The latest outbreak sees 258 active cases in isolation right now. The response from the government seems very focused, very stringent, and they just lifted restrictions in the Northern area (even though that decision has raised public concern). Provided my work visa makes it through the process, I hope to be arriving very early July for a 2.5 year contract in Suva. Good luck to those trying to come for a visit, and for those of us trying to get in for work :wink:
Rich
My August trip (rescheduled from August 2020) was just officially canceled - so it looks like Fiji will be out of commision for tourists until next year. I hope folks and businesses can survive until then, but it has to be tough as it will be almost 2 years without tourism dollars if they don't open until 2022,

My August trip (rescheduled from August 2020) was just officially canceled - so it looks like Fiji will be out of commision for tourists until next year. I hope folks and businesses can survive until then, but it has to be tough as it will be almost 2 years without tourism dollars if they don't open until 2022,

So sorry about the cancellation.
Our booking is still pending for October and the resort says they are all vaccinated,but I think Fiji is going to shut out Americans if they can get in a bubble with Australia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom