Shearwater now majority owned by private equity firm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I believe you. Just not for me. I've never jumped on the fitness tech bandwagon. I never wear a watch even though I have a very nice Breitling my wife bought me for our wedding. I'm just not a watch person. I also need the larger screen. But I do realize that I'm in the minority. I was asking to make sure there wasn't something about the appeal of the Garmin I was missing. I don't believe there is, it just doesn't match the requirements that are important to me.

In the minority, but not alone. I prefer the Petrel/Perdix "brick" form factor over a wristwatch style. As for wearable "fitness tech," I'm not interested in electronically monitoring anything about my body 24-7. My waistline and/or endurance tells me when I have not been exercising enough. On the occasions when I do wear a wristwatch, it's a Timex Ironman--cheap enough that I can just shrug it off and replace it if I accidentally smash it on something.

In the minority, but not alone. I prefer the Petrel/Perdix "brick" form factor over a wristwatch style. As for wearable "fitness tech," I'm not interested in electronically monitoring anything about my body 24-7. My waistline and/or endurance tells me when I have not been exercising enough. On the occasions when I do wear a wristwatch, it's a Timex Ironman--cheap enough that I can just shrug it off and replace it if I accidentally smash it on something.

I agree with both of you, and I am not into all the electronics running my life stuff either. My comments about Garmin where just an evaluation of the possible directions Shearwater could take. BRS & Co. did not buy them out, not to try and grow and make more money. The original statement reference if we would see an increase in pricing or a decrease in service.

One point I missed earlier, is Garmin has a history of supporting their product for several years. This to me would mean Future Shearwater would still be giving us great service and software updates.

Oh I believe you. Just not for me. I've never jumped on the fitness tech bandwagon. I never wear a watch even though I have a very nice Breitling my wife bought me for our wedding. I'm just not a watch person. I also need the larger screen. But I do realize that I'm in the minority. I was asking to make sure there wasn't something about the appeal of the Garmin I was missing. I don't believe there is, it just doesn't match the requirements that are important to me.

It's not that you're missing anything, it's that you'll never understand.

Every company that gives up major ownership goes downhill normally. Now is the time for another player to enter the field when shearwater support collapses.

Depends why the company is sold, and who the buyer is. If the company needs more capital for growth, or management/strategic talent it makes sense. Lots of examples of successful PE buyouts.

Also, current issue of XRAY Mag has an interesting interview with Bruce Partridge. A couple of his forward looking comments are:
- innovations in DCs are driven by batteries and displays, both of which derive from mobile phone tech
- growth in diving could be fostered by semi-closed rebreathers

Depends why the company is sold, and who the buyer is. If the company needs more capital for growth, or management/strategic talent it makes sense. Lots of examples of successful PE buyouts.

Also, current issue of XRAY Mag has an interesting interview with Bruce Partridge. A couple of his forward looking comments are:
- innovations in DCs are driven by batteries and displays, both of which derive from mobile phone tech
- growth in diving could be fostered by semi-closed rebreathers

This buyer has done some eyebrow raising things to owners in the past.

Such as paying them a lot of money for the right to change how things are done?

It's not that you're missing anything, it's that you'll never understand.

I'm not sure if your comment was intended to be a dis or not? I feel a bit like you just called me a luddite. Perhaps I'm wrong or perhaps I'll just never understand.

I'm not sure if your comment was intended to be a dis or not? I feel a bit like you just called me a luddite. Perhaps I'm wrong or perhaps I'll just never understand.

No, no insult, it's just the fact that unless you're a multisport enthusiast (say actually a hardcore runner and you dive alot, and possibly some of the other trackers that it has) then it just won't make any sense to you. No offense but you're not the market they're aiming for.

It's perfect for me. I dive, spearfish, run marathons, have a boat that has a Garmin MFD. It saves me 3 different watches and gives me boat data there too.

Back
Top Bottom