Hawaii & Maui in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a last minute trip to Hawaii in May (along with the rest of the USA it looks like) for two weeks and have been scouring this board all day for info. Figured I'd post up my current plan for a sanity check and get some recommendations.

The plan is to split our time between Hawaii and Maui with a mix of boat/shore diving. Looking at May 6th-22nd but our dates are flexible. We should have our 2nd vaccine shot here in a few weeks so hopefully that will help with some of the restrictions by then.

Hawaii - fly in to Kona get a super overpriced rental car, find a nice easy shore dive the next AM or maybe get a guided one to shake the rust off. Has anyone used Turo for a car rental?
Boat dives - Pelagic magic night dive and manta dive (Jacks Dive Locker for both if available?)
Shore dives - Not sure yet, any must-dos?
Probably find a place to stay around the Kona area? Are there any hotels with a decent house reef?

Maui - Fly over to Maui after spending a week on Hawaii. Looking at places to stay around the Kehei area right now...
Boat dives - Hammerhead dive at Molokai with Lahaina Divers, is this seasonal? They seem to be the only shop offering it in May. Everyone else seems to have it starting in June only.
The other boat dive I want to do is the Molokini crater (inside and back wall)
Shore dives - Mala wharf, Makena landing, Black Rock

Fly home on the 22nd

Anything else that would be a must do or see? Would it matter which island to go to first? Spend more time at one vs the other?

Thanks!

We keep hoping the negative test requirement will be eliminated by proof of vaccination, but it isn't the case yet. Which means you will need to get a second covid test before leaving the Big Island for Maui

State and County Orders

We keep hoping the negative test requirement will be eliminated by proof of vaccination, but it isn't the case yet. Which means you will need to get a second covid test before leaving the Big Island for Maui

State and County Orders

Any idea where a good place to get tested on the Big Island would be? Nothing I can find is really guaranteeing a 72 hour turnaround...

Any idea where a good place to get tested on the Big Island would be? Nothing I can find is really guaranteeing a 72 hour turnaround...

And there's the rub...

Sorry but I don't know of any testers, and Governor Ige is not being aggressive about getting the Islands open

Would it be possible for you to go Maui first then the Big Island?

And there's the rub...

Sorry but I don't know of any testers, and Governor Ige is not being aggressive about getting the Islands open

Would it be possible for you to go Maui first then the Big Island?

I suppose we could go to Maui first if the dives I want to do line up but it looks like inter-island travel requires a 72hr test traveling either way between the two islands.

I suppose we could go to Maui first if the dives I want to do line up but it looks like inter-island travel requires a 72hr test traveling either way between the two islands.

And I just saw this:

HONOLULU, Hawaii April 12, 2021 at 7:17 PM HST - Updated April 13 at 11:21 AM (HawaiiNewsNow) - Travelers are anxious for more details on Maui’s plan to require coronavirus tests for passengers after they arrive on island.

Maui County Mayor Mike Victorino said by the end of the month, trans-Pacific travelers will be required to take a rapid COVID-19 test when they arrive at the airport.

That’s in addition to the test they must take 72 hours before leaving for Hawaii.

Shore dives...Puako keyhole entry at end of Puako Drive, swim out and reef is to the right (north), off Mahukona pier, from sandy Beach at Makawa in Mauna Lani Resort. Kind of a trek from public access parking so might want to drop off one with gear at gate to private parking lot.
The reef there is very good, go out and across to the north (right) to see coral on lava fingers, or left and around the point. Talk to beach shack guys.

I went from Maui to Kona in January of this year, and got tested through Sonic Healthcare / Clinical Labs. I think I made the appointment through Sonic, but the facility is shared with Clinical Labs or they're the same organization.

I'm planning a last minute trip to Hawaii in May (along with the rest of the USA it looks like) for two weeks and have been scouring this board all day for info. Figured I'd post up my current plan for a sanity check and get some recommendations.

The plan is to split our time between Hawaii and Maui with a mix of boat/shore diving. Looking at May 6th-22nd but our dates are flexible. We should have our 2nd vaccine shot here in a few weeks so hopefully that will help with some of the restrictions by then.

Hawaii - fly in to Kona get a super overpriced rental car, find a nice easy shore dive the next AM or maybe get a guided one to shake the rust off. Has anyone used Turo for a car rental?
Boat dives - Pelagic magic night dive and manta dive (Jacks Dive Locker for both if available?)
Probably find a place to stay around the Kona area? Are there any hotels with a decent house reef?

Maui - Fly over to Maui after spending a week on Hawaii. Looking at places to stay around the Kehei area right now...
Boat dives - Hammerhead dive at Molokai with Lahaina Divers, is this seasonal? They seem to be the only shop offering it in May. Everyone else seems to have it starting in June only.

Fly home on the 22nd

Anything else that would be a must do or see? Would it matter which island to go to first? Spend more time at one vs the other?

Thanks!
How did your trip go? Learn anything new we should know. Planning now for next Spring & hoping to see Mantas.

Fly home on the 22nd

Thanks!

Fly home on the 22nd

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom