Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geez, glad I didn't plan my 5th trip to the Caymans after getting vaccinated... three freakin covid tests and quarantine... are you kidding me? Screw that.

This is what happens with overly zealous, progressive, woke government. No offense or ill will to the residents but I have no sympathy if their economy is significantly damaged.

At some point they will get their heads out of their asses, look at the science and actual risks of serious illness, hospitalization, and spread post (FDA) approved covid vaccination. (Both for tourists and residents.)

Geez, glad I didn't plan my 5th trip to the Caymans after getting vaccinated... three freakin covid tests and quarantine... are you kidding me? Screw that.

This is what happens with overly zealous, progressive, woke government. No offense or ill will to the residents but I have no sympathy if their economy is significantly damaged.

At some point they will get their heads out of their asses, look at the science and actual risks of serious illness, hospitalization, and spread post (FDA) approved covid vaccination. (Both for tourists and residents.)

I'm terribly sorry for the change in plans to your dive vacation, but I think if you asked about, the vast majority of the folks on the island, would find with your attitude, your precisely the type of visitor they don't need or want. IMHO

I'm terribly sorry for the change in plans to your dive vacation, but I think if you asked about, the vast majority of the folks on the island, would find with your attitude, your precisely the type of visitor they don't need or want. IMHO
I can't imagine how devastating this has been to the island financially. It's been quite devastating to the health of many of my friends' families, a few of whom have lost their parents to the virus, so I'm grateful that the folks on the island likely haven't experienced that, as well. My husband and I will be back as soon as we are able to with our young child (who can't get vaccinated yet) to put as much of our unspent vacation funds from the last year into the economy as we can. It'll have to be when quarantine isn't required because we unfortunately are unable to swing that long of a stay - I wish we could!

I read an article in a Cayman news source today that the Ritz on SMB is shutting down completely for a 6 month renovation project. I haven't seen anything definitive on openings, but I doubt the Ritz would plan to be closed when the island does eventually open.

If you are taking a 7 day dive trip or short vacation to the Caymans,(where quarantine for 10 days makes no sense) I wouldn't plan on being able to go for a while still. I am looking at summer 2022 at the earliest for my family.

Heading to the Bahamas and Cozumel for now instead.

Reading between the lines of the comments lately, it seems that there is a push to use all of the available doses of vaccine before they expire, which would be the second dose by end of June. There is also talk of adding the 12-15 age group in that time period.

With no further doses of vaccine available after June 30, and assuming they did use all of the available, it would seem logical that there would be a move at that point to move toward opening the borders more.

I feel like soon there will be a line drawn in the sand, meaning the explanation that if you don't get vaccinated now, you will be willingly doing that at your own risk because the borders will be reopening soon. Get vaccinated or suffer the consequences of your failure to do so. Your choice.

So, I can see July or August with some movement on the opening of the borders, certainly by October or November for the winter season.

Just my thoughts.

Most of the people I talk to here seem to feel that there will be a move to open things up by the high season in November. The new government is making a big push to convince the stragglers to get the vaccine by June 9, and there has been a slight uptick in the vaccination rate the past couple of days. Tomorrow there is a big "vaccination fare" with music, food, raffles and.... vaccines. The turnout for that and over the next week or so will give a better picture of where we stand.

Also the government announced a budget surplus for the first quarter of the year based on higher revenue from the financial services sector and customs import duties. The government has a strong cash position, so there will be somewhat less pressure to move too quickly to reopen.

Thanks for keeping us updated. While we were hoping for a dive trip to Cayman in August 2021, that may wait until 2022. Cozumel is calling but Cayman is our preference.

I don't think gc will ever be accused of opening up too quickly. I suspect any reopening will be in the late fall with all kinds of restrictions. A GC trip for us in 2021 just doesn't look likely. Maybe next year. We will take dive trips elsewhere this year.

Just so people know what is going on behind the scenes while all these delays are occurring....

The Cayman Aggressor has had to cancel all trips for more than a year, but it is not giving refunds. It is only giving vouchers. People have to rebook for sometime in the future. We were booked originally for last May, and they wanted us to rebook for this May--right now, in fact. So people are taking wild guesses on when they will be allowed on the island and booking trips, and since with that many cancellations and no refunds, the number of vouchers is enormous, all the trips for fall and winter are booked. Aggressor requires customers to cancel/rebook far in advance of the date or lose their money. Aggressor can cancel at any time it pleases with no penalty. So Aggressor is not canceling until the last second, IMO hoping the customer will cancel first and lose their money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom