Why not attach spool to DSMB before the dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most divers would not have any pocket to stow anything.

That's a choice they make. It's not a necessary limitation. Most drysuit divers have pockets attached to them or attach them themselves. Wetsuit divers can wear a pair of pocket shorts over their wetsuit or swimsuit in really warm water. That is what I do when diving wet which is 100% of my dives these days. I am rarely without pockets and when I am it's on a shallow shore dive where I don't need the items I keep in my pockets (DSMB and spool, backup DSMB, backup spool, dive alert, strobe, backup light).

I always have had mine seperate - I have a spool I like and one that is smaller and is ok just not my favorite. A brass ring on the end of the spool line and a double ender on the DSMB, it's one extra thing to unclip and one more thing to clip together - it becomes routine..... Also sometimes I use a reel if deploying deep as the line is thicker..... Also have different DSMB's depending on where we are diving.....

For me it allows a few different parts to be put together in more ways, the method is the same every dive, the parts maybe different.

The emergency deployment thing IMO is overrated at least for me, it's merely a few more seconds to attach them the way I have them setup, and as often as I deploy a DSMB, it is second nature.

That's a choice they make. It's not a necessary limitation. Most drysuit divers have pockets attached to them or attach them themselves. Wetsuit divers can wear a pair of pocket shorts over their wetsuit or swimsuit in really warm water. That is what I do when diving wet which is 100% of my dives these days. I am rarely without pockets and when I am it's on a shallow shore dive where I don't need the items I keep in my pockets (DSMB and spool, backup DSMB, backup spool, dive alert, strobe, backup light).
when I dive sidemount, mine is clipped off on my butt d-ring.

... or use your Drysuit inflation hose
I am most definitely not detaching my DS inflation hose. Just as I'm not detaching my BCD inflation hose.

Inflating the sausage is (usually) optional. Being able to maintain buoyancy is never optional. I'd rather have my buoyancy bubble in my suit or in my wing than having it in a detachable piece of gear like a sausage, because I'd rather not have to ditch my weights at depth if SHTF. I'd rather struggle to orally inflate my sausage in 4C water that detaching my DS inflation hose.

Most divers would not have any pocket to stow anything.

It's easy to attach pockets to any BCD/diver.

They can slide weight pockets onto a cummerbund or webbing harness.
They can wear shorts with pockets.
They can tie small loops of bungie onto the bottom of a backplate for the SMB to slide into.

It really doesn't matter how one carries an SMB/spool. It just needs to be accessible.

bare hands
Can't remember ever having dived with bare hands. Except on the occasional vacation to warmer waters, but that's less than 10% of my dives.

If you dive locally and live far enough north to encounter snow in the winter, you should be able to do every skill with standard local exposure protection. Including drygloves or thick wetgloves. When I took my OW, we were required to buy the mask, the fins, the snorkel and a set of gloves. All my OW training was in full relevant exposure protection. As it should be.

I am most definitely not detaching my DS inflation hose. Just as I'm not detaching my BCD inflation hose.

Inflating the sausage is (usually) optional. Being able to maintain buoyancy is never optional. I'd rather have my buoyancy bubble in my suit or in my wing than having it in a detachable piece of gear like a sausage, because I'd rather not have to ditch my weights at depth if SHTF. I'd rather struggle to orally inflate my sausage in 4C water that detaching my DS inflation hose.

Your choice. When inflating your DSMB you are then heading up. No need to be adding air to your suit. Also the drysuit is your backup buoyancy with your wing your primary. Also reattaching it is no issue. But to each their own. If you want to orally inflate it with frozen lips, have fun. I choose not to.

When inflating your DSMB you are then heading up. No need to be adding air to your suit. Also the drysuit is your backup buoyancy with your wing your primary.
I prefer having a backup. Two is one, one is none. My wing is my primary buoyancy device, my DS is my backup buyoancy device. There's no way I'll deliberately remove either of the two from my toolbox.

Your choice. Mine is "two is one, one is none".

I prefer having a backup. Two is one, one is none. My wing is my primary buoyancy device, my DS is my backup buyoancy device. There's no way I'll deliberately remove either of the two from my toolbox.

Your choice. Mine is "two is one, one is none".

You're inflating a DSMB. You still have two sources of buoyancy (wing and DSMB) and will quickly have a third when you reconnect your drysuit.

Not trying to change your mind. Do it as you wish as will I. Heck, I don't even use my drysuits these days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom