A NEW SPECIALTY - LETS DISCUSS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol, I don't think so.

But your earlier statement about the race to the bottom, I certainly agree. How to fix this industry, I don't know.

[OT, but interesting]

Look at this:
Scuba Diving Industry Strategies – Scubanomics – Medium

I find this article especially interesting:
A Blue Ocean Strategy in The Scuba Diving Industry
It's basically what GUE is doing: focusing on people who can spend, and creating a community.

However, I do not believe the only way to create a blue strategy is by focusing on people who want to spend. An alternative is to focus on the new "green-friendly" people. Project diving and citizen science can do a lot in this regard.

As an instructor, I suggest you start thinking about it; Project Baseline isn't a GUE project anymore and could be a good starting point, but there are several other options. For instance, I had some chat with a scientist at Imperial College (London) who is so much interested in analyzing micro-plastics in sea, oceans and lakes, and explained to me that the equipment to do it is really cheap, then one needs only to send the samples to her (or other scientists) and the game is done.

I am really interested in these kind of things, so if you want we may discuss privately, just be aware that I do not have much time to put it into practice :)

EDIT: setting up a project like a baseline or connecting with scientists require a strong base of active divers; so it is not a starting point - it is an endpoint. If you want, I can discuss with you how some friends of mine are growing step by step in switzerland.

[OT - end]

[OT, but interesting]

Look at this:
Scuba Diving Industry Strategies – Scubanomics – Medium

I find this article especially interesting:
A Blue Ocean Strategy in The Scuba Diving Industry
It's basically what GUE is doing: focusing on people who can spend, and creating a community.

However, I do not believe the only way to create a blue strategy is by focusing on people who want to spend. An alternative is to focus on the new "green-friendly" people. Project diving and citizen science can do a lot in this regard.

As an instructor, I suggest you start thinking about it; Project Baseline isn't a GUE project anymore and could be a good starting point, but there are several other options. For instance, I had some chat with a scientist at Imperial College (London) who is so much interested in analyzing micro-plastics in sea, oceans and lakes, and explained to me that the equipment to do it is really cheap, then one needs only to send the samples to her (or other scientists) and the game is done.

I am really interested in these kind of things, so if you want we may discuss privately, just be aware that I do not have much time to put it into practice :)

EDIT: setting up a project like a baseline or connecting with scientists require a strong base of active divers; so it is not a starting point - it is an endpoint. If you want, I can discuss with you how some friends of mine are growing step by step in switzerland.

[OT - end]
Sending you a PM. Thanks.

Would have to check the course standards, I am sure it will be laid out one way or the other. The link provided is just an advertising blurb. If it is only a single BM cylinder, then I would not recommend this course, but im willing to give the benefit of the doubt for now.
A lot of experienced OW divers bounce dive to 60 metres using a pony.

HERE ARE THE STANDARDS FOR THIS COURSE:

Dedicated Equipment Specialties
Decompression Diving
I. Intent
The SSI Decompression Diving program provides divers with the training necessary to:
• Independently plan and conduct decompression dives in a recreational or sidemount Total Diving System,
• To a maximum depth of 40 meters,
• Using a breathing gas with a maximum optimized nitrox blend of 40%,
• For a maximum accumulated decompression time of 15 minutes,
• With an equally- or more-qualified dive buddy.
II. Minimum Instructor Rating
• An active status Decompression Diving Instructor may conduct the Decompression Diving Specialty program.
Equipment Configurations
• They may use a Sidemount Total Diving System as outlined in the SSI Training Standards if they have the
Extended Range Sidemount Instructor certification.
III. Student Prerequisites
• Minimum age: 16 years old.
Have logged at least:
• 24 total dives
Have the following SSI certifications or an equivalent from a recognized training agency:
• Deep Diving
• Enriched Air Nitrox 40
For students using a sidemount configuration (in addition to the above):
Have the following SSI certifications or an equivalent from a recognized training agency:
• Recreational Sidemount Diving
NOTE: SSI recommends students earn the Science of Diving certification prior to beginning this program.
IV. Duration
Recommended hours for completion: 15–20.
V. Minimum Equipment
Students participating in this program must use at least one of the following equipment configurations:
• A complete recreational Total Diving System as outlined in the Recreational Scuba General Training Standards
with appropriate D-rings for stage cylinder attachment.
• A complete Sidemount Total Diving System.
Including:
• A single stage cylinder (minimum volume 5.7 liters) with a delivery system and submersible pressure gauge.
VI. Depth Limitations
• Maximum pool/confined water depth limit: 12 meters.
99 © SSI International GmbH, 2021
• Maximum depth limit for Open Water Training Dives 1 through 3: 40 meters.
• At least one (1) dive must be to a depth of at least 30 meters.
VII. Minimum Supervision
• An active status SSI Professional certified to conduct the program must directly supervise all academic and inwater
activities.
If combining Specialty programs:
• All training dives are required as outlined in the Decompression Diving instructor manual.
VIII. In-Water Ratios
• The student-to-instructor ratio is 4:1.
IX. Proximity
• During in-water skill evaluations, the students must remain under direct supervision of the SSI Professional so
that physical contact can be made at any time.
X. Requirements For Completion
• Complete all academic sessions and assessments outlined in the instructor manual for Decompression Diving.
• Complete the program’s final exam.
• Independently create a full dive plan using dive planning software.
• Complete at least one (1) pool/confined water session as outlined in the instructor manual for Decompression
Diving.
• Complete at least three (3) open water training dives as outlined in the instructor manual for Decompression
Diving.
a. Notes
• Open Water Training Dive 1 must be planned within the no-decompression limits of the student’s dive
computer or dive planning software.
• Actual staged decompression training must be conducted on Open Water Training Dives 2 and 3.
• The total time for all required stage stops must not exceed 15 minutes per dive.
• Divers may carry a decompression mixture of up to 40% oxygen.
XI. Sequence
• Pool/Confined Water Session 1 may only be conducted after the student successfully completes the
equipment configuration session.
• Open Water Training Dive 1 may only be conducted after the student successfully completes Pool/Confined
Water Session 1.
• Open Water Training Dives 2 and 3 may only be conducted after the student successfully completes all
academic sessions and Open Water Training Dive 1.
XII. Certification
• Upon completion of all academic and in-water requirements, the SSI Professional may issue the program’s
digital certification card.
• Certified SSI divers can dive with an equally- or more-qualified buddy in environments equivalent to their
training and within the recommended depth limits of their certifications.
Wouldn't you use 28% for 40 metres and 40% for deco?

Some might agree with you. Many won't.
As pointed out in a previous post by the 2006 founding member and chairman of the Freddy Krueger Fan Club, gas density in technical diving should always be a concern when the participants live and work in a clinically-controlled bubble (air-conditioned office/home/car), or are approaching depths in excess of 265 (MSW) using CCR. I’m sure Starnawski and Goodman could provide adequate findings. Some people don’t have the physical intelligence to be OC or CCR divers. Real men have been tested and exposed to hostile climates from -27 to 50 C. Pilots are tested against g-forces to see their response while recovering from a blackout. I test my Divemasters by making them do the 400 metre swim 100 metre gag. Navy parlance: never try to out-swim the equipment.

As pointed out in a previous post by the 2006 founding member and chairman of the Freddy Krueger Fan Club, gas density in technical diving should always be a concern when the participants live and work in a clinically-controlled bubble (air-conditioned office/home/car), or are approaching depths in excess of 265 (MSW) using CCR. I’m sure Starnawski and Goodman could provide adequate findings. Some people don’t have the physical intelligence to be OC or CCR divers. Real men have been tested and exposed to hostile climates from -27 to 50 C. Pilots are tested against g-forces to see their response while recovering from a blackout. I test my Divemasters by making them do the 400 metre swim 100 metre gag. Navy parlance: never try to out-swim the equipment.
Whatever.

Wouldn't you use 28% for 40 metres and 40% for deco?

your quote of my post was the ssi standards. so the standard is just saying that 40% is the max blend the student can use. where and how to use it would be taught during the course.

So in actual fact the course is only increasing your bottom time not depth.
Nothing wrong with that. SSI standard afterall.
PADI also has Tec 40, 45 etc etc
Step by step.

Nothing wrong with that. SSI standard afterall.
PADI also has Tec 40, 45 etc etc
Step by step.
The PADI TecRec step by step approach is for the fainthearted. I prefer TDI's AN/Deco-procedures/Extended Range/AT. You should already have familiarity on what your body can do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom