How to transport DSMB attached to the spool line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiago Machado

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After dozens of dives relying on others DSMB, just got my own.

I wonder if anyone can show me a photo how you transport the DSMB attached to the spool for easy use with gloves?

I'm wondering how to you avoid the spool to just detach and "rollover" :)

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 152
After dozens of dives relying on others DSMB, just got my own.

I wonder if anyone can show me a photo how you transport the DSMB attached to the spool for easy use with gloves?

I'm wondering how to you avoid the spool to just detach and "rollover" :)

In the pocket of my pocket shorts. I've seen way to many DSMBs unfurl, spool line come off the reel, etc, to carry it any other way.

Sorry ... I don't have a photo :wink:

Even though it’s in my pocket this is the rigging method I prefer.

8E064ADC-3918-4805-A11F-3D4BCE6EE2DE.jpeg

there's a good number of videos so look for those - you'll basically make a loop large enough to to pass the spool through with an additional small loop that you can attach the double ender through. leave the tag on the knot so when it is wrapped on the spool, the tag end will be out and available to grab with your gloved fingers. If you pass the loop through the spool holes, leaving about 1.5" free, you can instal the double ender and wrap the excess around the snap and back through the throat to prevent the snap from opening. Video will show it better than words. it's a bit more of an effort to attach it to the DSMB but I've never had issues with it coming undone on a dive

I have a Halcyon DSMB with the clip on the webbing. I larksfoot the loop on the spool on to the D ring part of the clip, then use a double ender to clip the Woody eye on the of the bigger loop back on to the spool. I then use the clip on the DSMB to clip to the loop in my drysuit pocket. Separating the spool/DSMB clip and the securing clip reduces the incidence of it unclipping in my pocket I find.
Rich

I like the above from JimBlay and you can always do a figure 8 around the snap to really hold it down - I like it especially since you're already attached to the DSMB

In the pocket of my pocket shorts. I've seen way to many DSMBs unfurl, spool line come off the reel, etc, to carry it any other way.

+1

dsmb2.jpg

Modified "Blay style". Advantage I see here is by attaching the snap bolt to the DSMB, you are keeping the tension on the loop around the snap and preventing roll out. Previous "cave" version was better if you just want to run a line - DSMB was mostly just along for the ride. This modified way seems very secure (though I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to get the original "Blay style" to roll out and spill) and way easier to deploy than what I was using. Wife hated it and routinely "fixed" it before we dove. Think this is my go to way now and I'll dive it this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom