Need a flag/float - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There’s a charter op out of Winthrop Harbor called Go Deep, LLC. My dive club uses them for charters, but they seem from their website to only do private charters. No walk on stuff.

Three Oaks only allows use of their rental canoes and such to avoid invasive species. No power boats at all. There is a different marked off scuba area. This is run by a city government. It’s IL. They’re going to be way over the line cautious.
We've got a lot of cub scouts down here. Those boys paddle a mean canoe. I wouldn't want to get hit by a scout speeding by in their canoe on the way to the scuba zone. Flags should help with this, and also give the scouts something to slalom around.

67389563.jpg

We've got a lot of cub scouts down here. Those boys paddle a mean canoe. I wouldn't want to get hit by a scout speeding by in their canoe on the way to the scuba zone. Flags should help with this, and also give the scouts something to slalom around.

View attachment 657494

Boats aren’t allowed in the scuba zone at all!

Boats aren’t allowed in the scuba zone at all!

No boats? Then requiring a flag is just stupid. That would be like Gilboa, Haigh or Whitestar requiring a flag. That's what happens when bureaucrats and lawyers make the rules

No boats? Then requiring a flag is just stupid. That would be like Gilboa, Haigh or Whitestar requiring a flag. That's what happens when bureaucrats and lawyers make the rules

It’s run by a city parks department in IL. What do you expect of the nanny state People’s Republic of IL? They even hold your cert card and DL until you’re done diving. Used to be car keys. Guess they really are wanting to make sure you’re getting out of the water. I haven’t dove there yet. Could be it’s too much BS to deal with.

That’s why I like White Star so much. No one peering over your shoulder.

You do need a flag at White Star now: well, at least when you’re solo diving. ...//...

OH, for joy!! I can only imagine the fun I would have while dragging a flag in a quarry! How much would that privilige cost me?

I didn't believe it at first, but here it is: "The Solo Scuba Diver must Tow a flag or float that marks the location of the diver during the entire dive."

Somebody really needs to market a resettable super streamlined clip-on solo lift bag that blows automatically after 6-12 hours. That way the closing crew could easily get the place ready for the next day...

There’s a charter op out of Winthrop Harbor called Go Deep, LLC. My dive club uses them for charters, but they seem from their website to only do private charters. No walk on stuff.

Thanks for the info. Will put that on the "one of these days" list. Let us know how Three Oaks works out. On the flag requirement at White Star -- I don't dive solo, but good relations with municipal\local\state governments seem pretty important to keep diving open at public locations. The flag lets them know people are still diving and moving around. It seems like there is a hyper concern over diving accidents, and every time something happens there is a discussion about shutting down diving at a location. Disproportionate in my opinion -- there are more accidents in swimming, boating, beaches, and even bathtubs. At least divers have a conscious understanding of the risk they are undertaking.

But back to flags -- the only time I ever personally towed one was at Blue Heron Bridge in Florida and it seemed like the greatest risk was getting my line tangled up in the lines of all the other people that were towing flags. I think the snorkelers had to tow flags too. (But the state requires it, right?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom