Dive computers - buckle or bungee strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have recommendations for OD size bungee for a G2? I was looking at the 1/8" or maybe 3/16". I'm concerned the thinner one may 'cut' in to my arm when doing warm water dives w/o wetsuit.
There are aftermarket wrist straps that differ from conventional straps, when one end breaks loose you don't lose your dive computer.

If my 5 year old doesn't have to tie her shoes, I don't have to strap a buckle.

Bungees are the speed laces of dive computers.

I switched from the strap to bungees, but have switched back. The bungees were sized for my dry suit. When I'm diving with no exposure suit, they're loose, and I can tug them snug but they loosen back up underwater. The wrist strap length is annoying, but it is easier to fit the computer to however I'm diving.

I got two nato (or zulu?) straps and use that with my shearwater perdix

I feel like the surgical tubing or bungee-with-buckle straps that came with the perdix are going to catch on something one day and fall off

Probably not but a traditional watch straps is 100% safer to me

I prefer the buckle straps as my perdix goes on my bare skin on my right arm.

My OSTC uses bungees by default and it's perfect for all use cases. I wear my computer high on my forearm, so weather a wetsuit or drysuit it fits nice w/o movement

+1 bungee on the wrist. Easy-peezy

I high-vis orange bungee cords to make the computer a lot easier if I drop it, whether in the water or on land, or even on my back seat. I use 2 separate bungees, on on each side, so if one ever breaks or gets ripped off, the 2nd is not affected and is presumably still in place. The bungees can be looped to shorten the strap and make the same bungee fit a thick, padded arm for winter diving or a drysuit with just long underwear underneath in warm waters.

I can’t imagine a bungeed computer easily being dragged off by accident (when doffing gear to get in a RIB was mentioned earlier), but I wear these on my forearms, not my wrist. Losing something on your wrist would not be that hard to do.

I do use the original straps and clips on my Petrel, but that’s just because I haven’t gotten around fixing up a better solution. Those straps are a least 2 separate attachments and flexible for an exactly correct and tight fit, and the buckles are also darn big and dryglove-friendly. But bungees would be easier and high-vis would also be an improvement. I’m more careful with that computer though, so misplacing/dropping it is a bit less likely.

I've been partial to bungee cord. One less thing to break or malfunction, i.e., strap buckle(s). Plus, I can rotate the computer( Perdix AI) around my arm to read at angles or protect it climbing ladders etc.

Back
Top Bottom