What Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It won't take long for you to notice the common mistakes made by most divers including yourself.
How is he going to recognize the right from wrong if he doesn't know any better and is a new diver without a mentor/instructor?

How is he going to recognize the right from wrong if he doesn't know any better and is a new diver without a mentor/instructor?
New driver is a lot more safer than so called experienced driver!
Mirror, signal, shoulder and change lane. How difficult it is?

Remember what you learnt from the beginning. Not that difficult to notice the meaning of kicking up silt if you have watched others. I used half-fluttered kick from reading and applied it near the bottom and replaced it with frog kick when I was tec wreck cert. I have also came across so many divers who were carried far too much weight but.......

Read various topic on safe diving. Most of them are NOT covered in any diving courses. eg. I would not had known the main reason for sticky power inflator button etc etc.

As for instructor!
Some of them is a lot worst than I in knowledge and technique!

Scuba diving is NOT that difficult technically.

BTW, what have you learnt from your instructors?

PADI Mermaid Diver all the way!!!

New driver is a lot more safer than so called experienced driver!
Mirror, signal, shoulder and change lane. How difficult it is?

Remember what you learnt from the beginning. Not that difficult to notice the meaning of kicking up silt if you have watched others. I used half-fluttered kick from reading and applied it near the bottom and replaced it with frog kick when I was tec wreck cert. I have also came across so many divers who were carried far too much weight but.......

Read various topic on safe diving. Most of them are NOT covered in any diving courses. eg. I would not had known the main reason for sticky power inflator button etc etc.

As for instructor!
Some of them is a lot worst than I in knowledge and technique!

Scuba diving is NOT that difficult technically.

BTW, what have you learnt from your instructors?

So the knowledge is just going to descend to him from heaven just like that? What you are saying is pure fantasy.

Dive! Dive! Dive! Aoogah! Aoogah!

Thanks all for input. GUE fundies is an interesting option, I'd not thought of previously and is exactly why I started this thread.

Self reliant / solo is the only other thing that interests me............But that will take more diving experience.

I'm just going to keep diving and gain experience for this year and probably the next.

So the knowledge is just going to descend to him from heaven just like that? What you are saying is pure fantasy.
Where did I say that?
Remember the basic, read and watch!
Fantasy? To you may be but not for me.

What have you learnt from your recreational instructors skill/technical wise?

How many driving hrs you have done before taking the exam? Did you do any advanced driving class to improve your knowledge and skill?
Diving is never ever technical demanding. Skiing is more difficult for me and so rock climbing.

Thanks all for input. GUE fundies is an interesting option, I'd not thought of previously and is exactly why I started this thread.

Self reliant / solo is the only other thing that interests me............But that will take more diving experience.

I'm just going to keep diving and gain experience for this year and probably the next.
Try not to set the bar too high.
Take one step at a time and enjoy the fun.
If you have spare time then you should start reading topic on decompression theory. Far more useful then those meaningless diving courses(some people call them basket weaving).

I think Rescue w/O2 provider, the rest depends on your goals. Some like @Marie13 make a 5 year plan and that sounds like a good way to avoid cert collection vs quality training. I personally have become very picky on what I will pursue after the standard AOW, Rescue progression and handful of courses. I only take training I will actually use with the exception of one "fun" specialty in which I still learned some good skills.

I advise all my students to do rescue as the first class after open water. A good rescue class is as much, if not more, about preventing problems before they happen in the water. For many divers, at all recreational levels, a good rescue class is an eye opener. It improves situational awareness, gets rid of some ego based behavior (for most people but not all), and will change how you view every dive and every dive situation. You'll look at other divers differently and in some cases, be better equipped to know what and who to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom