What makes one regulator better than another?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is all you need, if you dive in cold lakes perfect, dive warm salt water deep perfect, tech diving perfect. Serviced all over the world. Great if you want to service yourself. Check out the price.
ScubaPro MK17 EVO/G260
Two complete sets wouldn't give you much change for $2,000.00.

Proper after dive maintenance is far more important than anything else.

No regulators in the market is unsafe or difficult to breath.
One thing is certain, I can guarantee that, there is absolutely no need to buy any top range from any manufacturers.
Wide price differential? Same as car, mobile etc etc.

1. How often do you dive?
2. How much would you like to spend on one complete set of regulator?
3, 4 , 5 etc etc.

Plenty of similar posts on SB.
The most recent one on the topic and I believe the OP was looking at Deep 6 or DGX at the end .Not well known brands but you have to read his/her reasoning.

DGX Custom - DGX Gears D6 Streamlined OW Reg Package

DGX Custom - Dive Rite XT Streamlined OW Reg Package
$200.00 more

Excursion Recreational Regulator Set

Good luck.
I never like the term 'luck' when diving. DGX D6 is a good breathing regulator, although I haven't used them in deep water.

Clone of the HOG regulators with some enhancements. HOG is based on Apeks design. So the D6 regulator is the illegitimate daughter of a Apeks regulator design clone.

And you know this how? Do you have schematics of both?

Guy who started Deep 6 came from HOG, designed both. Both are made in the same factory in Taiwan.
So what if @cerich was at HOG prior to starting Deep 6. While I’m sure he learned things from his previous experience, that doesn’t qualify as new designs as copies. That’s just BS. I guess once a car designer designs their first car, every car they work on is a copy of the first.

And due to the low volume of scuba gear, a number of companies use the same factory.

that means nothing.

I never like the term 'luck' when diving. DGX D6 is a good breathing regulator, although I haven't used them in deep water.
I was referring to the shopping of equipment.
Quite easy to spend un-necessary money based on expensive = best.
The most common SP reg is Mk25 from what I noticed, cannot remember the last time I saw a Mk 11/17 or G250/260 from relative new divers.

The ultimate final decision is on the OP and sincerely hope he and his wife would spend the money wisely.

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 8.02.09 PM.png

Please don't buy from AliExpress or the like. They sell some VERY cheap regulators with interesting brand names, but the quality is unknown.

Oh, I don't know . . .

I find myself succumbing to the siren's call of that very orange HiMISS second stage -- no doubt cobbled together in one of the finer Uyghur slave camps -- uh, internment camps; uh, 職業技能教育培訓中心 ("Vocational Education and Training Centers.")

Time to get rid of that Swedish crap and go full-Xinjiang . . .

I was referring to the shopping of equipment.
Quite easy to spend un-necessary money based on expensive = best.
The most common SP reg is Mk25 from what I noticed, cannot remember the last time I saw a Mk 11/17 or G250/260 from relative new divers.

The ultimate final decision is on the OP and sincerely hope he and his wife would spend the money wisely.
MK17/25 are both good regulators. I only like the A700 because the pre-dive venturi lever is easy to use wearing gloves.

The funny thing is, it might work fine... But then... It might not.

View attachment 657053

Oh, I don't know.

I am really finding myself lured by the siren's call of that lovely orange HiMISS second stage -- no doubt cobbled together in one of the finer Uyghur slave camps.

Time to get rid of that Swedish crap and go full-Xinjiang . . .
You will never know the answer unless.....
Money back guarantee so what are you waiting for?

Back
Top Bottom