Tanks in pickup truck bed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyStrat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are the foam "noodles" okay?
Should they also be strapped down?

I've seen everything work. Pack gear around them. Noodles. Wooden cradles. Actually strapped to the floor is one thing I don't think I have ever seen.

The noodles work fine. You can use anything so long as the tanks are secure and not rolling or sliding around.

Here's mine but I live on Bonaire and dive pretty frequently. My wife has problematic wrists so we designed the flap to allow a smooth slide for the tanks and to protect the area between the bed protector and the tailgate cover. My next truck will have the sprayed on liner that covers all of that.

They need to be secured enough that they do not move in sudden maneuvers or an accident. Yo do not want to see what can happen when a valve is suddenly broken off of a tank with 3000 psi in it! You are also responsible for any injuries or damage that is caused by that.

Upright strapped against the bed/against the back of the cab. Safe and leaves more room for othergear.
That's exactly how we've done it the few times I've gone in a friend's pickup. Very secure for the tanks, and plenty of room for stuff as you said. On the other hand, it's less convenient than having them on their side at the rear of the bed. Risk vs Reward, sort of.

Here's mine but I live on Bonaire and dive pretty frequently. My wife has problematic wrists so we designed the flap to allow a smooth slide for the tanks and to protect the area between the bed protector and the tailgate cover. My next truck will have the sprayed on liner that covers all of that.

If the truck rental agencies only provided racks so nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom