Shearwater now majority owned by private equity firm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peregrine AI.

I should note that two of the companies that BRS owns have done well in their respective niche outdoor markets, both of which are competitive markets

At least not...

Huish

Revo was sold off to Mares a few years back. For rEvo owners it has actually been a good thing. Very minor changes to the rebreather (buckles changed to Mares branded, 1st stages changed (as an option), really nothing else). But parts availability has gone from sketchy to nearly mainstream. Just about any Mares dealer can get me parts now. So it could be a good thing.

Yep, well.. can't blame the owners for wanting to cash out and/or retire. Hopefully Shearwater will continue to have the customer service they're so well known for. Unfortunately, consolidating things like customer service are often one of the first cost saving measures after an acquisition. Only time will tell.

On the other hand, competitors may finally stand a chance at competing with SW products...

Peregrine AI.

I should note that two of the companies that BRS owns have done well in their respective niche outdoor markets, both of which are competitive markets

Evolv has certainly become more polished (branding and product) over the past few years. (Also, their Cruzer approach shoes are my usual kicks while setting up gear at the dive site).

I guess we can all hope that this does not mean mass production mass marketing causing there amazing customer service reputation to fall along with Canadian manufacturing being moved overseas.

Just looking at BRS's portfolio they are all over the place from pizza, and canned foods, to rock climbing shoes, pellet guns, and racing helmets.

Marsh,

That was my first thought, Canada to China, and I'll bet it happens sooner rather than later.

From their diversity, it seems quite clear, the only thing BRS specializes in is money.

My Petrel ll works well, and service is local for me, we'll see if it remains that way.

It's not the first time a hand over like this has happened in the scuba industry, and it's far from the last.

Rose

These private equity firms strive to maximise profits and value of the shares. I expect that much more money will be put into marketing, expect price increase and resulting increase of sales. Shearwater was very famous for its customer service, however, I would expect that in this area will be the most decline. There will be no "personal touch", name will be fully exploited and Shearwater will become another ordinary company.

So, thinking positively, if BRS wants to extend the product line, what products would we want to see made with Shearwater’s quality and customer service (along with a premium price)? Lights, reels, exposure suits, rebreathers?

... what products would we want to see made with Shearwater’s quality?

Helmet.jpg

lights probably the logical step as there is a price premium that can be profitable and not too far off from dive computers. import the batteries and emitters, do the optics/controllers/housing and final assembly/qc in canada. massage the numbers so the content value qualifies for made in canada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom