Lessons I'm back; experience of a hacked account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While we are in this security topic, I have a question. How does the key word alert work?

Not sure I understand. Are you suggesting using the word "Alert" in the Report text?
No, I mean this (below):

FC902A28-2B08-4C79-B79C-8D65547DE830.jpeg

No, I mean this (below):

View attachment 656828

Hmmm. That has some interesting possibilities, but every active moderator would have to set the "Keyword Alerts" individually. Any innocent use of a particular word might trigger so many Alerts (like the upper right corner "Alerts" that it could be overwhelming.

You (meaning all our members) is our first line of defense. You sniffed this impostor our before Staff could brew our first cup in the morning. Using the Report function is great but fleshing a suspicious poster out when something doesn't smell right is even faster.

I'm not suggesting that you accuse someone at the first hint, especially since you could be mistaken, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out that using an unprotected payment method has been used in scams before.

Beside making the password unique and complex, how about enabling Email Confirmation in “Two-Factor Verification”?

@drrich2

Thanks for letting us know. I know I've got an "exposed" username/password combination and changed passwords for any site that I thought had possibilities for fraud.

Guess which site I didn't change? :facepalm:

Glad to see that the real @drrich2 is back.

I would suggest that everyone changes their password and be aware if you use the same user name / password combination on other sites it is best to change them too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom