Car key storage during shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually put it in a drink bottle duck taped to my dive flag. However I did once do a shore dive with my key in my shorts pocket by mistake. Luckily, it worked fine after the dive.

At $7 you aren't chancing your $100+ key in case your 2 cent ziploc baggie fails.

And your Toyota should have a physical key. I had one as a rental for a while, it is just hidden you have to pull it out.
I work for a toyota dealer, you would not believe how many owners are oblivious to that key... its about a $25 option to carrying your 200 remote with you underwater.If I have my toyota with me, I lock mine in another divers vehicle. my ford I can lock them in it

Look at the driver’s door. Does it have a keyhole? Then there’s a key... :)

I haven’t personally seen a car without a key hole, but I can’t say I’ve looked terribly extensively, particularly at high end or ultra modern cars. But the three-four times I’ve been told “my car doesn’t have keys anymore!”, it did. Usually with a subtle lever on the key fob to release it.

+1 on @Manatee Diver : get a copy made and put it somewhere on your person. For cars that ‘can’t lock the keys in’: use the mechanical key to lock the door as you walk away... :)
sometimes (ford fusion) there is a cover for the key hole, they all have one on the drivers door... you are correct sir

The key (chipped) is locked inside car. Door lock is opened with a non-chipped key on a lanyard on my neck. Another one I use is a lock box from Mako. Both work well. I could put it in a dry box on my float/flag assembly too.

So many good options...

https://www.makospearguns.com/Key-Lock-Box-p/mklb.htm

Where do you put the key if you dive naked?o_O

Although it may be more expensive than you are willing to pay (@$48), there is a Garmin Mini (PLB) dive case on Amazon, rated to 100 meters. I bought one for my Garmin Mini, but have not used it yet for diving, but I talked to a Garmin rep who is a diver, and said it worked great, and if it did not Garmin would not keep it on the market. Obviously, I will test it before sticking my $600 key fob in it for diving or snorkeling, but I am far more likely to trust this product than a far less expensive container with no depth rating.

Hi
I attach the key to a kitchen cabinet's magnet and stuck it under the car.
You can also double secure the car by turning the car's battery off or something similar... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom