Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I got the full blown bends in cozumel 10 years ago and had TOP NOTCH care from dr piccolo. Do you all really think your family physician at home has a clue about the bends. My primary doctor looked at me like eh. The hospital I was at in cozumel was cleaner than any hospital i have been in the USA. Dr piccolo and also dr Garcia the dan doctor are top NOTCH in my book. Sorry about ur bad experience. Most doctors in the Yucatan went to school at Baylor and rice in texas. People talking about poor health care In a cozumel. I've only had the best care and trust them more than your family doctor in catmando or wherever u may be from.

Dr Piccolo (and his wife, Heidi) are absolutely the best! The care I received at the hospital in Cozumel was far better than any I have received here in the States.

Dr Piccolo (and his wife, Heidi) are absolutely the best! The care I received at the hospital in Cozumel was far better than any I have received here in the States.
I loved them to. Except for dr piccolo stern lectures and no diving 6 months. I did get to pick out movies while I was In the chamber. Heidi being american handled all my insurance with United health and it covered me 100%

I loved them to. Except for dr piccolo stern lectures and no diving 6 months. I did get to pick out movies while I was In the chamber. Heidi being american handled all my insurance with United health and it covered me 100%

I had the same experience. Can't say enough good about them. Heidi was quite the fighter for me with DAN and Travel Allianz denying some of my claims.

Unfortunately, the guy in the chamber with me (can't remember his name) picked out the movies. Apparently, he was a huge Star Trek fan. I like Sci-Fi but had already seen the movies several times, LOL!

It was hard to relax/sleep with the demand mask on. Had to concentrate on taking deep breaths.

Well I got the full blown bends in cozumel 10 years ago and had TOP NOTCH care from dr piccolo. Do you all really think your family physician at home has a clue about the bends. My primary doctor looked at me like eh. The hospital I was at in cozumel was cleaner than any hospital i have been in the USA. Dr piccolo and also dr Garcia the dan doctor are top NOTCH in my book. Sorry about ur bad experience. Most doctors in the Yucatan went to school at Baylor and rice in texas. People talking about poor health care In a cozumel. I've only had the best care and trust them more than your family doctor in catmando or wherever u may be from.

How did you get the full blown bends? I certainly don’t want to be in that situation ever, if it’s avoidable. Any lesson learned that you can share with us?

@living4experiences sound like unusual case, as the dive profile seemed normal (following the DM) and no other divers in the group got skin bend.

You are not seeking any medical advice at all.
What is the chance for a full blown DCS?

Your life and I hope it won't affect anyone.

You have informed DAN on the issue so would it affect your future diving insurance with DAN or others?
What would you like s/he to do?

There are only so many options and some may depend on the type of skin bends the diver had. Being female is a risk factor tough to change. Overweight? Sure, one can take steps to improve this risk factor. Change diving habits? Absolutely.

@living4experiences while at the hospital did anyone talk to you about your rash? Did they confirm skin bends? Did they diagnose it as Cutis marmorata?

If cutis marmorata and they have had several episodes and plan to keep diving it might well be worthwhile to get checked for a PFO since there is a chance of progression to more serious DCS. But then what? Getting closure is not as simple as SB makes it sound and testing itself is not cheap here in the US. Stop diving? Maybe. Certainly dive very conservatively.

If it was type 1 and not cutis marmorata there really is no need to be checked for a PFO since there is about a 30 percent chance it will be positive and no evidence it caused their skin bends. Instead just dive with common sense precautions. And loose weight if that is a factor.

@living4experiences if you need help setting your GF to 35/75 just ask. And you can set your SS for adaptive or just standard 5 minutes while you are at it.

What are GF and SS in this context? What would setting GF to 35/75 do, and why?

GF = Gradient Factors
SS = Safety Stop

35/75 is considered a High conservatism setting for Shearwater computers in recreational dive mode.

What are GF and SS in this context? What would setting GF to 35/75 do, and why?
The GF (gradient factor) on their computer is a way to make it dive more conservative. Think of 100 as being completely full of nitrogen. With a setting of 85 you will surface with 85 percent of full. With 75 you surface 75 percent full.

SS is short for safety stop and longer means more off gassing before you surface.

What would you like s/he to do?
I was just curious to find out what is his/her future plan for scuba diving because of previous history of skin bend on top of the latest one.
The answer given was simply keep on diving as usual.
And there has been no mentioning on the subsequent medical advice on the matter.
Reply on #164 said it all! Do I care?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom