WtF: The Decline in Scuba Participation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love diving. I've found diversification in my expectations to be key. If you put all your eggs in one basket you increase your possibility of disappointment... i.e. if it's just about the reefs, they seem to be in a downward cycle; if it's just about the wildlife, some places are fished out 'cause people are hungry; etc. etc.. I try to see the best of each dive/diving locale/diving environment...it's about the reef, the wildlife, the topography, diving (& dining) with friends, making new friends, local folks and their customs, a beautiful sunset from shore, being on a boat, sitting on deck at night with the big sky no light pollution and virtually no horizon counting satellites, etc. etc.. If none of that gets your juices (Work to Fun) flowing...well, wtf there's always golf. :)

All good stuff. Golf is fun too. Fun, or an often inexplicable nightmare in my case.

I supposed that there were rich people who did that, but it literally didn't occur to me that this sort of thing was something being marketed at (among others) me. It just wasn't without the realm of possibilities to consider.

Prior to my honeymoon in 2006 (actually the planning phase in 2005) I had never been outside the continental United States. I didn't grasp what 'the Caribbean' was, or the difference in traveling there vs. Europe (thankfully our travel agent was polite enough not to laugh in my face when I proposed to hit both on our honeymoon). I hadn't known about arranging trips of what kind of investment in effort and cost would be involved.

That's part of why my trip reports now include detailed cost breakdowns. Yes, it was a blessing for me to get to hit the Galapagos Islands in January 2020...but if someone is interested in that trip, they ought to know the price tag. Similarly, if I decide to plan a trip to Komodo via live-aboard...I need to know the practical details.

Hey Murky, who are you calling "Older"? I like to think of me as a "highly experienced diver" with my own awesome tool chest! You do have a point about the baby boom bubble busting and the different challenges facing those we leave in our wake though. On the other hand, it seems like no one has a problem with buying a $1000 I phone, there is some hope for spending habits and fine dive gear.
Many younger generations don't bother with a PC/laptop. Their phone is their computer. So they may not even have an internet bill. So $1000 for a phone may not be that outrageous (though it is for me, but I did just buy an NUC for $1K).

Many younger generations don't bother with a PC/laptop. Their phone is their computer. So they may not even have an internet bill. So $1000 for a phone may not be that outrageous (though it is for me, but I did just buy an NUC for $1K).
$1000 for a flagship phone is really $600 because you can get $400 back when trading it in for next years flagship phone. That’s $50 a month or less than $2 a day for something that you can use multiple times a day to solve problems of your life. You could easily spend $20 a week on a morning coffee. I spent close to $1000 a year just bringing in donuts and pastries for my crew on Fridays to celebrate another weekend coming up.

So John, After 14 pages of comments, I went back and re-read your 3 page letter. Sadly, you have ticked off some very valid observations. I have personally seen some the effects that you describe and have before and current picts as examples. Climate change and poor treatment of our oceans are real and our reefs are in great jeopardy. Chasing Coral was a great reference notation. Luckily Coz is still in very good shape as are many other locations (At least for now). But other locations are not as fortunate. Cost is an issue but it always has been and I suspect it always will be unless we grow gills. Golf and tennis are good examples of sports that are in some decline.

On the positive side, AdivingBel just wrote a very positive spin and boy do I want to live with that thought when I lay my head down on the pillow at night. I still believe in exploring the alien world that covers most of our planet and seeing all that it has to offer.

My bet is that (with some help) the reefs and oceans can figure a way to beat mankind's indifference. If not, future generations of scuba divers will be the least of our problems.

Let's blow some bubbles and piss off some golfers!!!

Hey Murky, who are you calling "Older"? I like to think of me as a "highly experienced diver" with my own awesome tool chest! You do have a point about the baby boom bubble busting and the different challenges facing those we leave in our wake though. On the other hand, it seems like no one has a problem with buying a $1000 I phone, there is some hope for spending habits and fine dive gear.
I'm 50 and I realize that I'm now old. The other day, I saw some video from this "Cardi B". What complete and utter crap. But then I saw comments by kids who absolutely loved it. Go back 35 years, and I'm one of those kids loving what 50 years olds thought was complete and utter crap.

Ah, the cycle of life.

I'm 50 and I realize that I'm now old. The other day, I saw some video from this "Cardi B". What complete and utter crap. But then I saw comments by kids who absolutely loved it. Go back 35 years, and I'm one of those kids loving what 50 years olds thought was complete and utter crap.

Ah, the cycle of life.
I just turned 53. We should start a Gen X club with @drrich2.

But those 50 year-olds in 1986 had a valid point, the music of our day was kind of crap compared with the previous 30 years.

I would not have noticed if scuba diving is in decline in USA based on my personal contact with them. American divers are extremely rare in this part of the world. I stand a much better chance to meet those from Scandinavia or New Zealand. I have also noticed in my back packing travelling days that American was also very uncommon.
Unlike those from Australia/NZ, Canada and Europe, meeting any American younger than 25 is nearly impossible. The exception are those actually living/working in Asia already.

I did raise the question with them when I have the chance to do so and there are some interesting reply:
1. American do not like to travel aboard because they have more than enough to see back home.
2. Short holiday unlike those especially from Europe.
3. Dangerous because American is a soft target(even 35 yrs ago?).

The sport is certainly not in decline in our part of the world(SE Asia).

But those 50 year-olds in 1986 had a valid point, the music of our day was kind of crap compared with the previous 30 years.
Mid 60 - late 70 is the best period for me.
Because it was my era. LOL

In general I agree, but there was some good music created. And there was crap made in the 50s/60s/70s. I’m sure there is some good music being made today that will be remembered 30 years from now and a lot of the crap will be forgotten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom