Kraken compatible BC / BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Freedom Plate and thin profile wing like the VDH or Oxycheq work very well. Yes the VDH plate is more optimized for DH, and I have one, but I prefer the comfort and fit of the FP.

@rhwestfall I think @herman uses something similar to that-but slightly modified.
Herman with Kraken.jpg

That is a Zeagle Express Tech, the original one, not the later one with more stuff on it. It has been modified to make it ride lower on the body and a crotch strap added to keep it in place. The bladder is the smallest one I could get...think it's a 15 lb one.

You can dive an AK or any DH reg for that matter with any BC, it will work. HOWEVER, unless the BC places the reg where it needs to be (see above) the reg will not work as well as it could. Reguardless of the BC, it needs to keep the reg close to the body and low. If you have 2 tank bands on a BC, you can place the tank low (out of the top band) and on most BC's you can add a crotch strap if you get creative.

Whoa thanks for the excellent advice guys, brilliant community here :D

Not Kraken specific, but I use a flat plate that I cut out of a plastic cutting board and I get good double hose can placement. Cutting board cost me $5 and I used a dremel and skillsaw to cut it.
The concern with "traditional" BPW is the center channel raising the cans off your back.
View attachment 655975View attachment 655976
The pics above are version 1 of my DIY BPW (wing is scratch built as well), but there's no reason a "Factory" wing wouldn't work on it as well. Attached is the most recent version of the cutting board layout.

Respectfully,

James

Thanks James, I may look into this as I live in Indonesia and only certain back plate brands are supplied here so my choice is very limited. Although trying to find a decent local engineering shop might also be tricky :bounce:

Attachments

• bare-20one-20way-20vdh-20bp_zpswe5vorxw-jpg.392697.jpg
    bare-20one-20way-20vdh-20bp_zpswe5vorxw-jpg.392697.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 112
On the assumption I can find a machine shop to fabricate James's plate design, what wing would you guys recommend? Looking for something with low drag if possible, I'm around 80KG, 6ft2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom