confused about prescription masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another satisfied Sea Vision customer with astigmatism. I also use the Sea Vision mask and am very happy with it.

I had an old prescription mask (can't even remember where I bought it but it was pre-internet) that shattered a year ago while in the Cayman Islands. Couldn't get a shipment from the US as the borders were closed so I locally purchased a scubapro mask with the stock prescription lenses. I could at least see, but there was some distortion. I ordered the Sea Vision once the country opened for shipments, and the custom prescription lenses are much better than stock lenses.

My wife and I have both been using Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego for over 20 years now. We have always been very pleased with the service and product. Your mask or their mask, no problem.
Give them a call and they will happily answer all your questions.
I have bifocals and they really make picture taking a pleasure, I can see better than my top-side glasses.
Good luck.

Brant

Thanks all for the heads up on Sea Vision, I hadn't heard of them before. How is the durability of the CR39 material that their lenses are made from? Does it scratch easily ?
I was looking at Seethesea rx and they use glue in lenses, how do these hold up?

I have two (primary and backup) and they're fine after years of use. I usually take care to keep them in a mask bag when they're not in use :wink:

I started with the glue in lenses years ago... they worked but I found them clunky looking and hard to clean out the defog etc that builds up along the hard edge of the glued in lens.

You have great vision!!
Thanks Jon. Like I said, I can see ok underwater but a couple of times I've missed some small detail that my dive buddies are talking about post dive.
@Julie T, that is an amusing story, glad it worked out for you. You have some great luck happening upon a mask that worked for you.
I think you all have persuaded me to go the full prescription route with Sea Vision, I don't see much point in trying to make a stock lens work if it's not the right thing for me. After all I'm underwater to see what I can see down there.
Thanks everyone.
Graham

My wife and I have both been using Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego for over 20 years now. We have always been very pleased with the service and product.\
I use that business also, and being able to actually see my dive computer numbers clearly is quite nice.

I wear progressive lenses in daily life (I'm also a +1.00 person), but my Rx mask is for my near-vision prescription. I made this decision because I cave-dive and wanted very clear resolution to see the line, work with spools, have enough detail to deal with knots, etc.

If you're more of a big-picture, coral-reef or large shipwreck person, then going with your distance Rx might get you more of what you want to see.

@AdivingBel Do you have an astigmatism and find these lenses work anyway? or is your prescription a straight spherical correction?

My wife and I have both been using Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego for over 20 years now. We have always been very pleased with the service and product. Your mask or their mask, no problem.
Give them a call and they will happily answer all your questions.
I have bifocals and they really make picture taking a pleasure, I can see better than my top-side glasses.
Good luck.
I also use Prescription Dive Masks. Very happy with them. Unlike a lot of places they are still happy to answer the phone and talk you through any questions or issues.

Here's their contact info:
Prescription Dive Masks
Custom Prescription Dive Masks

@AdivingBel Do you have an astigmatism and find these lenses work anyway? or is your prescription a straight spherical correction?

These do not correct for astigmatism...that said...I do have a minor astigmatism and they offer a substantial improvement based on my spherical correction. I have a friend with a moderate astigmatism and they work well enough for him. I'm not an optometrist (obviously :)), but if you have a relatively straight forward prescription this may offer a simple, economical alternative that's "good enough." Plus (a big plus in my book), I really like the mask. :)

Back
Top Bottom