Children die playing with scuba gear left in pool - Jensen Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's one of the other articles, although it doesn't look quite like the one I was reading previously:
https://www.wptv.com/news/region-ma...ssible-drowning-incident-at-jensen-beach-home

wptv:
The siblings were with a parent who was visiting friends at the home.

The sheriff's office said the children were described by the parent as experienced swimmers and proficient divers and had been to this home on past occasions.

The brother and sister were given permission to use the pool, along with a scuba tank, while the adults conducted their business, according to the investigators.

Once the scuba tank was placed in the pool, the children followed, and the adults told detectives they walked away from the pool area into the garage to look at another piece of equipment.

After leaving for a short amount of time, an adult returned and found both children at the bottom of the pool with the tank.

Alternatively, this could of been a hypoxic mix. The fact the tank and assuming a reg set were taken for inspection might be a hint toward that.

That seems like a valid hypothesis. Is the homeowner someone who would or might have had a tank of hypoxic mix in his or her possession?

Contaminated tank seems more likely based that, we're the kids wearing any of weight to stay down? Still a lot of missing information.

Scuba diving is by definition a high-risk endeavor. Enabling your kids to play unsupervised with scuba gear is to me comparable to letting your kids play unsupervised with loaded guns.

Me, I'd do neither, so IMNSHO the onus is on the parents.

Tragical, no matter what.

7 & 9 left unsupervised in a pool. That’s the first mistake. Second is the scuba gear.
I am a mom. I do not take my eyes off my kids when they are swimming. I am a scuba instructor...i have let my kids play with scuba...under my direct supervision at all times. Common theme is supervision. No matter what. I need to take my eyes off you? Out of the pool. I survived childhood with a big inground pool. Same rules.

7 & 9 left unsupervised in a pool. That’s the first mistake. Second is the scuba gear.
I am a mom. I do not take my eyes off my kids when they are swimming. I am a scuba instructor...i have let my kids play with scuba...under my direct supervision at all times. Common theme is supervision. No matter what. I need to take my eyes off you? Out of the pool. I survived childhood with a big inground pool. Same rules.
Yep, totally agree. While my kids were learning water skills before their first birthday, they were not in the pool unsupervised at that age. Now, they are a bit older and both are certified, they can swim by themselves, but if scuba gear is involved, there will be in-water supervision.

This is a tragic story, and not much about it makes any sense. I’m sure everyone involved is suffering right now, but it sounds like the adults were way too complacent.

Growing up in Florida, in an era where kids were free to roam and explore, we often found ourselves swimming in ponds and creeks starting at about 9 or 10. Moms having no idea. In hindsight it wasn't the water we should have worried about, but the gators.

In my experience as a parent, about 7 years old is when kids who were taught to swim don't need helicopter supervision. I'm not saying you just become oblivious to the fact they are in the pool. But, adding scuba gear changes all of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom