Any value sucking on your EAN tank during ride back to the dock?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hsinhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Curious if there is perceived or real value in sucking on your reg during SI or on the way back to the dock, if dives were on EAN? I mean I don't get a refund on any air left in the tank.

I know NDL on my DC is not going to gain any advantage, but I assume I myself am going to gain from it? are there any potential negative consequences?

For instance, last year I did 4 boat dives in Jupiter, FL within NDL and was going to be flying 20hrs after the final dive completion (long international w/connection).

I sucked on my reg between dives for ~10mins before switching tanks and on the ride back to the dock.. would that help reduce risk of some event on a flight 20hrs later? just psychologically? or is its value negligible?

Reactions: OTF
Curious if there is perceived or real value in sucking on your reg during SI or on the way back to the dock, if dives were on EAN? I mean I don't get a refund on any air left in the tank.

I know NDL on my DC is not going to gain any advantage, but I assume I myself am going to gain from it? are there any potential negative consequences?

For instance, last year I did 4 boat dives in Jupiter, FL within NDL and was going to be flying 20hrs after the final dive completion (long international w/connection).

I sucked on my reg between dives for ~10mins before switching tanks and on the ride back to the dock.. would that help reduce risk of some event on a flight 20hrs later? just psychologically? or is its value negligible?
Seems there was a dive computer that neglected the fact that people on the surface were not still breathing nitrox. I seem to remember it bent some people? If my memory is correct there would seem to be some benefit in continuing on nitrox.

Nitrox (32-40%) on an SI can't hurt, might help. Post dives, same.
Preflight, different game, O2 preferred, special tables and rules. Anything less than 24h (multiple NDL dives) or 18h (single NDL dive) is risky. DAN rules, US Navy Tables, lots of info, but the downside can be bad. Do you really want a DCS hit at 35000 ft halfway through a long international flight, somewhere over the North Pole?

Breathing Nitrox on the surface isn’t enough to fix a problem if you actually have DCS. It could however, be enough to mask symptoms of DCS in a mild case. Not recommended.

Anything less than 24h (multiple NDL dives) or 18h (single NDL dive) is risky. DAN rules, US Navy Tables, lots of info, but the downside can be bad. Do you really want a DCS hit at 35000 ft halfway through a long international flight, somewhere over the North Pole?

What are you referring to here? Are you saying that breathing O2 on surface will cause issues if flying less than 24 hours after several dives or do you mean something else?

Yes, interesting read seems you both referenced the same case
I learned recently the permanent effects two of the divers suffered. Much more than not being able to dive again.

Back
Top Bottom