regulator standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another consideration is the after sell services, cost of full services etc etc. And if you interested on DIY then availability of spare parts etc etc.
Getting complicated but the field has narrowed down considerably.

Good luck.

I feel your pain. Many of us are engineers or have that mindset. But it seems to me that a standard for regulators is about as useful for most divers as a standard for bicycles for cyclists. Regulators are simple, mechanical things. Regulator designs today are the result of slow evolution. They’re all based on the same underlying mechanisms. Every brand sold in dive shops works well enough for all but the most extreme diving. Now, if you’re diving to extreme depths or in extreme cold, you may need something with specific characteristics. Others than that, you will probably not notice the performance difference among regulators, assuming they are properly maintained and adjusted.

That seems quite broadly negative. Mil-spec is a specification toward an intended application. The good or bad of it is mostly how it may or may not align with your use case.

Right. Milspec M4 accuracy is 5 MOA.

If your intended application is hitting what you shoot at, well.....

Radian Raptor or Geisele FTW!

That is not playing fair Rusty. Every single AR in my arsenal has an SSA-E g-trigger inside.

Right. Milspec M4 accuracy is 5 MOA.

If your intended application is hitting what you shoot at, well.....

You are cherry picking, but I think you know that already.

Do you want a commercial or Mil-Spec Buffer tube or receiver extension?
Do you want a 1:7 or 1:9 twist?
5.56 Nato or .223 Rem?
Do you want your bolts HPT and MPI inspected for flaws?
Chrome lined barrel?

Sorry for the digression OP.

Go with a common brand from a US or EU company. Most are all manufactured in Taiwan with good quality control. Don't buy a Chinese eBay reg set.
Regarding three of the most renowned brands (Poseidon, Scubapro and Apeks) all of them are manufactured fully in EU.
Poseidon factory is in Sweden: About Poseidon
Scubapro factory is here in Italy, in Casarza Ligure (near Genoa): https://goo.gl/maps/9i49QhSdAsXsFJLP8
Apeks factory is in England: https://goo.gl/maps/pv54XqJKYXmSFchK6
I suppose that US-brands are manufactured in Taiwan, not certainly top EU brands, which instead are mostly manufactured here in EU.

Wow everyone. I'm blown away at the responses. Here I was hoping for one or two helpful responses and I've got two pages worth. Even a tangent into bang sticks. Who could ask for more?

I do value the user serviceable products on the market. Partly because I'd like to service them myself, but also because I believe a good design is a simple design.

You've all brought up several good points including the good and bad of having industry standards. As an engineer that has dabbled in product design, I kind of see the value in having a standard to design to. I've also seen what a headache it is to try to meet some agency's expectations that may be too far removed from the actual industry to write a proper standard.

So to wrap things up; companies don't need to meet a standard to sell their regs in the US but it's still advisable to look at ones that are CE or EU approved? In Europe, they have to meet the EU approval. What if I bought one that wasn't EU approved then went on a trip to Europe and wanted to dive over there? Would the dive master not allow use of that reg?

Thanks all!

I don’t like the HPT. Both Bill Alexander and Reed Knight thinks it cuts bolt life by a half.

That is not playing fair Rusty. Every single AR in my arsenal has an SSA-E g-trigger inside.

You are cherry picking, but I think you know that already.

Do you want a commercial or Mil-Spec Buffer tube or receiver extension?
Do you want a 1:7 or 1:9 twist?
5.56 Nato or .223 Rem?
Do you want your bolts HPT and MPI inspected for flaws?
Chrome lined barrel?

Sorry for the digression OP.

Regarding three of the most renowned brands (Poseidon, Scubapro and Apeks) all of them are manufactured fully in EU.
Poseidon factory is in Sweden: About Poseidon
Scubapro factory is here in Italy, in Casarza Ligure (near Genoa): https://goo.gl/maps/9i49QhSdAsXsFJLP8
Apeks factory is in England: https://goo.gl/maps/pv54XqJKYXmSFchK6
I suppose that US-brands are manufactured in Taiwan, not certainly top EU brands, which instead are mostly manufactured here in EU.

I think both Atomics and Zeagle are mostly US made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom