Solo diver missing - Pulau satang island, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can think of few other countries in SE Asia as well.

Yes already trying to blame the divers to divert the criticism. Common practice/trick.

Indeed, its very common here in SEA to take a lax'ed stance on situations like these not to mention it is the month of Ramadhan as well. Sad to hear but oh so true.

1. I would like to hear the reasons for slow respond initially when one of the brother trying to contact them.
2. Why search was NOT immediately carried out even at that time of the evening. Weather, lack of staff or what?
3. Surely the search could had started much earlier ie. at daybreak rather than 09:00am as reported. If there was any kind of urgency shown by the authority.
Not sure whether it's been posted earlier in the thread, but here's Malaysia coast guard's press statement on the matter - Sarawak MMEA: Missing diver’s brother failed to call emergency line for help | Malay Mail

I would say that the answer they gave is quite plausible, and it is a good case study in incident response for dive professionals.

Also, on the morning after the accident, vessels from water police, fire brigade, and coast guard were involved in the search. The point of contention was that one coast guard boat that left late as it was docked at the jetty waiting to be refueled - AFAIK no explanation has been given about it.

FB_IMG_1619435911729.jpg

From coast guard facebook page.

Lokasi terakhir = last known location
Lokasi penemuan mayat = body found location

Not sure whether it's been posted earlier in the thread, but here's Malaysia coast guard's press statement on the matter - Sarawak MMEA: Missing diver’s brother failed to call emergency line for help | Malay Mail
1. Her brother eventually managed to contact them.
2. "MMEA boat No.6 could not conduct the search due to poor visibility at night, incomplete location information on the incident and the probability of the boat endanger the missing diver should she surface"

The boat does not equip with search light?
The divers involved were around and they should be able to provide the information on the location. They eventually went out on their own to look for her and returned late in the evening!!!!!

Missing diver: agency accused of slow response - Divernet

Someone has been economy with the truth !!!

The boat does not equip with search light?
If I was drifting at night, I'd be shining my dive light.

If I was drifting at night, I'd be shining my dive light.
What you do/don't is irrelevant. She might not have a light/signaling device at all.

List of equipment of the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency - Wikipedia

Boat No.6 has been at sea on duty since 15th Apr( 6 days already). So it should be a reasonable sized vessel. Where was that vessel at that time?
To even suggest the search might endanger the diver at night if she has already surfaced is PATHETIC. She would not have enough gas to last so long.

Incompetent is to be "expected" but treating people life with contempt is not acceptable.

What you do/don't is irrelevant. She might not have a light/signaling device at all.
She may not. I always dive with one, and if I was drifting overnight, I'd hope that the search boat would be out looking for me in the dark so they could see me.

For me in particular tho, I'd also fire up my PLB & strobe. Those authorities may ignore those, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom