ATM vagaries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting.
Probably worth $1.86 USD +/- to me to avoid changing that many $500 MXN notes, ($6,000 - $8,000 MXN).
Yes of course, but his hope was to understand the confusion.

Update: the atm that was free is no longer free. As a test, I withdrew from all three over my stay and got hit with the 34.80 fee. I’m also a BOA customer. It didn’t help.

Update: the atm that was free is no longer free. As a test, I withdrew from all three over my stay and got hit with the 34.80 fee. I’m also a BOA customer. It didn’t help.
Pesos, right? A buck and some change?

I'll never forget the first time I used an ATM to withdraw pesos there. I was very intimidated by the Spanish instructions, just wanted $50USD worth of pesos for the last day so put in 50, and got $50MXN. Had to do it over.
The QUOTE function helps so much in extended discussions.

This one...??
Today I used the Santander ATM at Calle 3 y Ave 10 that @gopbroek has often recommended, and there have been some changes to how transactions are handled.

1. No ATM fee! None shown on the receipt, and when I checked my bank, it not only appears that there was no fee, but I also received a favorable exchange rate. Santander isn't listed on the Dollar Today site, but the mid-point average exchange rate today was 19.21 pesos:dollar; the transaction went through at 19.30.

Today I used the Santander ATM at Calle 3 y Ave 10 that @gopbroek has often recommended, and there have been some changes to how transactions are handled.

1. No ATM fee! None shown on the receipt, and when I checked my bank, it not only appears that there was no fee, but I also received a favorable exchange rate. Santander isn't listed on the Dollar Today site, but the mid-point average exchange rate today was 19.21 pesos:dollar; the transaction went through at 19.30.

2. No dynamic currency conversion page. Nice that they got rid of this ham-handed money grab

3. Only dispensed $500 peso notes. I didn't pay attention to the welcome page, that usually lists what bills are available, and it wasn't a problem this time, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

On the other hand, when I used the Santander ATM at Mega earlier in the week, (1) there was the standard 30 peso ATM fee; (2) it had the stupid DCC page (which can be declined); and (3) it dispensed the typical variety of bills.

YMMV

That must be all related to your card other than the bank notes.

I get a fee charged, 30 pesos or something

Currency conversion page still comes up - decline it

One night, got 9000 pesos in 200's.........

For those that don't know Charles Schwab has a little hidden gem bank account called Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account

For the most part I bank with US financial institutions but spend about 330+ days a year out of the US in a variety of 15-30 different countries depending on the year. I have been using the Schwab debit card for several years now and have never paid a single ATM or foreign transaction fee. And I have withdrawn money in well over 50+ different currencies with no problems.

Just wanted to share this travel tip for those that use ATM outside the US a lot.

That wouldn't move the needle for me, but YMMV.

Nor I but my bank also charges a $5 fee. I wouldn't want to pay $7usd fees on $100usd worth of pesos so I usually withdraw the max, usually 6000-9000. I like to come home with 1500-2500 pesos since I'll be back and I won't have to hit up an ATM immediately upon arrival. If the exchange rate moves a bit costing me a few USD, that also doesn't move the needle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom