Using dive lights for communication during cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For quick communication during complicated cave diving, your dive light beam can not only let dive buddies know you are okay, but also to inform them of emergencies or potential danger.

About some basic signals with the dive light, simplicity and ease of understanding are essential. For example, making a circular motion with the dive light that can be seen by other buddies, is typically a sign for everything okay. Moving light beam slowly back and forth, is used to gain other divers’ attention. If there is any issue or potential danger, using the dive light to make a continuous back and forth motion in the rapid manner to indicate an emergency...

And many divers think the most important thing for communication underwater is that all team members can understand the meaning of every signal, when to use them, and what must be done in response. From your diving experience, what’s your team’s effective method for communication? Using light signals, hand signals, or touch contact? Your sharing is appreciated!

I've used my dive torch for communication on many dives. Sometimes better when in low vis and a group of divers spread out.
Communication with a dive torch is for any dive not just cave diving. I always discuss light and hand signals with my guide and buddy.

Light movement left to right is -emergency. Light movement up and down is -attention. Light movement in a circle is -ok

Light movement left to right is -emergency. Light movement up and down is -attention. Light movement in a circle is -ok
What about morse code? Do cave divers use that?

Or shadow hand puppets?

(joking of course)

For cave diving - and pretty much all other kinds of diving I'm involved in, it generally breaks down as follows:

- while on the move, light signals.
- while stopped for navigation procedures (jumps and the like), hand signals.
- while moving or stopped in extremely low vis, touch contact.

What about morse code? Do cave divers use that?

Or shadow hand puppets?

(joking of course)
There are some special hand signals. You can erect your third digit and shine the light from behind it. The diver in front of you will see the shadow. This is generally interpreted as "NO" with emphasis.

There are some special hand signals. You can erect your third digit and shine the light from behind it. The diver in front of you will see the shadow. This is generally interpreted as "NO" with emphasis.

What would that signal be with one hand and the other like in your avatar? Would that be "not ok"?

What would that signal be with one hand and the other like in your avatar? Would that be "not ok"?
He is signaling "eight OK" for some reason. Or maybe "OK eight." Nothing I would understand!

He is signaling "eight OK" for some reason. Or maybe "OK eight." Nothing I would understand!
That was one of my first dives after certification, Key Largo. I need to go back there, it was fun.

That was one of my first dives after certification, Key Largo. I need to go back there, it was fun.
So what WERE you signalling?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom