Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you get replacements of the cosmetic rings? Or alternatively, can someone post a photo of using an additional orings instead of the ring to help hold the glove in place? Had the ring split this weekend while cave diving and then the gloves kept pulling out, went through 4 gloves trying to stay dry but they kept pulling out.

Bob

Replacement cosmetic rings are expensive but I believe any Waterproof dealer can order them. Give DRIS a call as they may have some in stock. Or just stretch one of the spare o-rings that came in your kit onto the outside of the glove where the bead on the underside of the cosmetic ring would sit. You should also have received a 2nd set of cosmetic backup rings without any branding in the Ultima DGS kit.

If you need o-rings then I recommend size 341 x 70 durometer. I bought mine in a pack of 25 from amazon.com.

-Z

This may have been covered somewhere in the last 1200 posts, but I discovered a helpful tip for loading the gloves.

I loaded 720s onto my original set or rings with lots of warming, stretching, cursing, stretching, some more cursing - you get the picture. But I was new to it, no jig or anything, so par for the course and I got them on.

Then I picked up a used set of Ultima rings to use for a second set of gloves and decided to use the 3416s. I started down the loading path - warming, stretching, cursing - and I decided that I had time and didn't need to get all sore and frustrated. I figured that I could use the outer band of the glove ring to stretch the glove and I put the O-ring on the ring to help it pre-stretch. I aligned the widest part of the ring to where I wanted the eventual fold line to be then let it sit (actually I put it away out of sight since I was off season) like this ...

DdrWJc6vA-kyv9CXGsbQPXIMfAsOBYqlHJTE-5kTNG0iU5L0d9FQgRxc6lrkKsE93Z8LtycS5W6MBcyx6=w1624-h1218-no.jpg

I forgot to take a picture after removing the gloves, but there was a noticeably stretched band on the glove and loading seemed to go much better. I expect next time, when I have the 341 O-rings as well, it should be an easy task.

I now have my backup set of unmounted 720s stretched over the loaded rings in storage in case I have to change them in the field.

I've found it much easier to mount the gloves by pushing them away from me as I stretch them over the rings.
I learned from those videos (Thanks!) first and that is how I've done it.
The 720s seem to be a little easier than the 3416's. You also have a one-size less-stretch advantage on me. Yea, that's it! :wink:

I still can't mount gloves like @MaxBottomtime but am able to get them on. The 341x70 o-rings make a huge difference in the amount of time and effort it takes me to get them on. I have only mounted SHOWA models 660, 495, and 720, I have not tried the 3416 gloves, yet.

-Z

Not sure if this is mentioned somewhere else in this thread, but I figured I'd mention it. If you have big hands like I do, many of the glove types listed don't work, especially if using a liner (I'm frequently in water <40F, so a liner is pretty much needed in that water). Here are notes on the gloves I have tried:

Ansell 352-10 (biggest size) - WAY too small. Can't fit it on bare handed
Showa 379-11 (XXL) - too small if using a liner, barely fits without a liner
Showa 720-11 (XXL) - too small, can't fit it on my bare hand. Bigger than the Ansell 352 above, smaller than the Showa 379-11 above
Showa 3416-11 (XXL) - too small, can barely fit my bare hand (tight/hurts), no way to fit with a liner

The glove that I prefer which fits well and works well with a liner is the Showa 737 (727 and 717 are the same glove but thinner - 737 is 22mil, 727 15mil, 717 12mil). Despite all of the other gloves being too small, I actually wear a 737-10 (XL) and this works with a thick liner if needed. I've tried 737-11 but the finger length is a bit too long. I've tried the 727 but found those tore too easily due to being a thinner glove. I've found the 737 warmer than the blue smurf Atlas gloves and with better dexterity, while still being comfortable. They work great with the Ultima DGS as well.

Figured I'd share this here in case anyone with big hands is frustrated by the other gloves referenced in this post being too small.

Bob

Just got pair of 720s and 660s both XXL. Didn't know I have big hands but seems like I do. Both feel just a bit too small with very thin liners. Wish there were size 12. Have to try 737s

They'd make a fortune selling some sort of mounting kit for these rings. I know I'd buy one.

They'd make a fortune selling some sort of mounting kit for these rings. I know I'd buy one.

Using o-rings size 341 x 70 durometer in place of the ones that come in the box will make mounting gloves a breeze without sacrificing security.

-Z

Just got pair of 720s and 660s both XXL. Didn't know I have big hands but seems like I do. Both feel just a bit too small with very thin liners. Wish there were size 12. Have to try 737s

I have big hands, the 720's felt tight in the beginning but they loosen up pretty good after a few dives. Maybe try wearing them around the house.... I did for a bit:) they feel much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom