Ring found on the wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, they have pretty serious teeth. A zodiac has no defense against them.
Neither do we. My bro-in-law got scratched by barracuda teeth when he landed one when he was fishing, and he got a very nasty infection from the wound.

If you are going to try to eat a cuda, try to get one that isn't too big. In many areas the larger ones are believed to carry Ciguatera poisoning. Rule of thumb by me is to keep the length of the cuda no greater than your forearm if you want to take it home for dinner.

The area I caught this one was not known for ciguatera. Even so, only the captain, mate, my wife and I ate it. The other three archaeologists demurred. For more facts and myths surrounding this toxin, see my newest book, Natural History of Cozumel. It occasionally crops up in Cozumel, but it is usually traced back to frozen fish from Progreso that were shipped to Cozumel, Yucatan.

Neither do we. My bro-in-law got scratched by barracuda teeth when he landed one when he was fishing, and he got a very nasty infection from the wound.
Glad he didn't get the flesh-eater infection. I'm always worried about that one in salt water.

I had an opportunity to eat cuda on a trip once. Passed. Ciguatera risks also scare me.

Ok, I heard from the owner on FB tonight. They're still desperate to get it back. She also messaged the island girl who found the ring, but not everyone checks their messages from not-firends. I hardly ever do myself. Maybe we can connect them, and maybe the finder still has it.

If you want to metal detect you should go to entrance at Puerto abrigo. Everytime we go out fishing we throw coins in the water for good luck. It's a local thing .

If you want to metal detect you should go to entrance at Puerto abrigo. Everytime we go out fishing we throw coins in the water for good luck. It's a local thing .
We do the same thing but usually when we are out in the middle of the channel. Good luck finding them; it's pretty deep out there. ;^)

Then again this was supposedly found in the sand near a southern reef after the storms last October
0_IMG-20201030-WA0000.jpg

I heard from the ring owners today on FB...
Thanks for the post you made for Louise. My husband, Dave and I are in Cozumel now on a diving trip. We met up with Louise last night and she gave my husband back his original wedding band! We are ecstatic!!!! What a miracle! Beth Grissom.
197531379_821707855420502_8196185937291255499_n.jpg

Way to go DD!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom