Seaskin Ultra drysuit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my ultra a couple of weeks ago and dove it for the first time last weekend - it was absolutely awesome. Would like to thank everyone in this thread for persuading me to go with this over the nova - it would've been significantly more expensive. (Unrelated - I can't believe so many people hate on neoprene seals. These things are awesome!)

Quite literally the only thing I don't love about the suit is it's a back zip. I can zip it alone, but only if I lube the crap out of the zipper. Also have to be super careful about not snagging on the undersuit. The car door handle/nail in fencepost/whatever method works well too. I do a lot of solo diving so this was something I had to get down.

Got my ultra a couple of weeks ago and dove it for the first time last weekend - it was absolutely awesome. Would like to thank everyone in this thread for persuading me to go with this over the nova - it would've been significantly more expensive. (Unrelated - I can't believe so many people hate on neoprene seals. These things are awesome!)

Quite literally the only thing I don't love about the suit is it's a back zip. I can zip it alone, but only if I lube the crap out of the zipper. Also have to be super careful about not snagging on the undersuit. The car door handle/nail in fencepost/whatever method works well too. I do a lot of solo diving so this was something I had to get down.
The lack of a front zip option is literally the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on that suit so far. What options did you get with it?

This is basically the scubaboard BINGO effect. Most people have never dived in a good neoprene suit. And everyone "recommends" the si-tech neck rings (even though I've never heard of anyone wearing out their neoprene neck seal?) and wrist rings. The combined added cost of the Nova, plus neck and wrist seals ends up increasing the price like 300 dollars at least. Much more if you consider the increased cost of the required undegarments.

A order-made neoprene drysuit dives super nicely, basically like a wetsuit, and is warmer. A lot of people are missing out...

The lack of a front zip option is literally the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on that suit so far. What options did you get with it?
Not alot, unbalanced pee valve and pads on the elbows, knees, and butt. Pockets on both thighs as well. Socks for the feet. Everything else was default.

This is basically the scubaboard BINGO effect. Most people have never dived in a good neoprene suit. And everyone "recommends" the si-tech neck rings (even though I've never heard of anyone wearing out their neoprene neck seal?) and wrist rings. The combined added cost of the Nova, plus neck and wrist seals ends up increasing the price like 300 dollars at least. Much more if you consider the increased cost of the required undegarments.

A order-made neoprene drysuit dives super nicely, basically like a wetsuit, and is warmer. A lot of people are missing out...
I wanted to avoid dry rings from the start but everyone kept recommending them to me despite my declining. "Oh I'm able to swap a silicone seal out so easily when I tear it" Yea, you wouldnt have torn it if it wasnt silicone lol. Based on my research I suspect alot of people have only ever worn one type and then recommend that type to others then they get that type and it creates a perpetual cycle. In this case it's trilam w/ rings everywhere.

I have already patched one small hole in the neoprene neck seal on my Ultra and need to patch another. Not sure how I keep getting them, either. :(

Meanwhile, my Nova, which is older, is still on its original (replaceable) silicone neck seal.

Rings on a trilam are not just to have replaceable seals. They also allow dry gloves - which are HUGELY nicer than wet gloves, in cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom