Solo diver missing - Pulau satang island, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me too, but she's an experienced spearfisher, and I think that they try to minimize carrying extra tools.
It's just my speculation that they were going to fish, but if it turns out to be the case, the psyche of the hunt might explain the human factors behind their decisions.

For example, the victim going down on a second dive by herself because there was only one tank remaining. I wonder if that was intended to be the spare tank for the first dive.

Reactions: Dan
For example, the victim going down on a second dive by herself because there was only one tank remaining. I wonder if that was intended to be the spare tank for the first dive.
Or she had low SAC than her male dive buddies and had 30 minutes air left in her tank, while others had used up theirs.

Hope they recover the body before nature claims it for good.

After 4 days went by

“The PPM diving team is also helping us in carrying out a search by diving at the last location where the victim is believed to have gone missing, while the Bomba team is carrying out search around the waters of Pulau Satang Besar...

He said as the location of the victim’s dive was not far from the open sea, MMEA Sarawak has also sought assistance from its Indonesian counterparts.

“We have also alerted our Indonesian counterpart, Badan Nasional Pencarian dan Pertolongan (Basarnas), apart from our own marine community and fishermen, if they find any object at sea, they are to alert us immediately,” he said.”

So the dive accident was near an island after all? Just hoping she swam to some beach and found water to drink while searching for help as she is young & looks fit.

35DC2901-78C3-42A6-830F-3EE7E35108CC.jpeg

I think what they meant by open sea is... the big scary sea that ships go out to and not the average boat.

I put together a map of Malaysia's maritime border, overlaid a S&R situation map from yesterday that I came across, and the last known position at the green dot (pointed by the red arrow).

Maritime_border_of_Malaysia[1].jpg

The multi-color area are searched by boats, black box by UAV. Pulau Satang is off the bottom left corner of the black box.

From local live news - the diver's body was found in the waters of Tanjung Po by local fishermen. Identified by her family.

RIP

From local live news - the diver's body was found in the waters of Tanjung Po by local fishermen. Identified by her family.

RIP

Sad ending, condolences to her family.

At least finding the body will give the family closure, may she rest in peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom