Basic gear from mid-twentieth-century Italy: Other manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In July 1951, the Italian popular science magazine La Scienza Illustrata published an article entitled "Caccia subacquea" (Underwater hunting). You will find a scan on Virginio Masera's excellent Museo subacqueo torinese website. The article has three captioned images showcasing a single-snorkel Atlantic Lusso mask:
upload_2021-4-21_11-31-22.png

Italian: "La maschera, le pinne, il fucile e, infine, la preda."
Rough translation: "The mask, the fins, the gun and, finally, the prey."

upload_2021-4-21_11-34-30.png

Italian: "1. Come si mette la maschera. In basso vi vede la valvola di scarico. A sinistra il tubo di presa d’aria coì galleggiante che in acqua ne chiude il foro."
Rough translation: "1. How to don the mask. At the bottom, you can see the drain valve. On the left, the air inlet tube whose float valve shuts off the intake bore under water."

upload_2021-4-21_11-36-31.png

Italian: "2. La maschera deve essere perfettamente aderente al viso. Il piccolo tappo del tubo di espirazione deve avere una guarnizione piuttosto morbida.
Rough translation: "2. The mask must be a perfect fit for the face. The small cap on the exhalation tube must have a rather soft seal."

If you want to read the entire article about underwater hunting, the original illustrated Italian text with a rough English translation is available online here.

The 1954 Rex-Hevea catalogue has the following captioned image for the Atlantic Lusso snorkel-mask:
upload_2021-4-21_11-51-54.png

Italian: "ATLANTIC: sono, tra le maschere a gran facciale, quelle che i scontrano maggior successo; grande cristallo rotondo e carcassa in gomma nera o bleu; snorckel in alluminio ed orientabile; si costruiscono anche nei tipi lusso con cristallo Securit triangolare ad uno o due snorckel orientabili ed allungabili. (MATRUS) lusso, 1 snorckel TR1, Lit. 6.500. (MATRUDO) lusso, 2 snorckel TR2, Lit. 8.100.
English: "These are, amongst the large windowed masks, those which have had the greatest success; with a large round window and strong mounting in black or blue rubber; aluminum snorkel, adjustable; luxury types are also made with a triangular window in Securit glass and with one or two adjustable and extensible snorkels. In black."
My translation: "Among full-face masks, these have reported major successes; large round window and black or blue rubber body. Adjustable aluminium snorkel. Also built into "Lusso" with triangular shatterproof glass window with one or two adjustable and extendable snorkels. (MATRUS) luxury, 1 snorkel TR1, 6,500 lire. (MATRUDO) luxury, 2 snorkel TR2, 8,100 lire."

I added my own translation here because the "official" Rex-Hevea rendering not only needs better English wording but also omits some of the original text.

Last, but not least for today, we have a photograph of a spearfisher with an Atlantic Lusso single-snorkel mask from Barry Kimmins' wonderful 1956 British diving manual Underwater sport on a small income:
upload_2021-4-21_12-4-31.png
The caption simply reads: "Underwater hunter with harpoon-gun and trident off Malta."

Time's up for this morning's contribution. I am postponing the remainder of what I have to say about the Spasciani Atlantic Lusso snorkel-mask until the weekend. Stay well and keep safe.

Thanks, Sam and Jale, for the likes.

Today we complete our review of the Spasciani Atlantic Lusso. The snorkel-mask appeared in a couple of the catalogues of the International Divers Corporation of Montreal, Canada, which manufactured and imported underwater equipment during the 1950s and early 1960s:
upload_2021-4-25_9-16-4.png
The image above shows the original Spasciani Atlantic full-face mask with its float-valve topped shorter adjustable snorkels replaced with a pair of much longer non-adjustable breathing tubes ending in ball valves. Page 24 of Historical Diver Number 36 provides a possible explanation by Phil Nuytten, one of the great pioneers of Canadian diving:

I.D.C. (International Divers' Corporation) was a Montreal-based manufacturing and distribution company founded by Martin R. Scholler in the early fifties. Much of its equipment designs were copies of other manufacturers, a practice later brought to a high art by the Seamless Rubber Company of Spain, with their Nemrod line. The I.D.C. dry suits, for example, were Seamless latex and came complete with the impression of all of the seams, cross-seam patches, and even a couple of repair patches of the brand-name original male mandrel. The mandrel, of course, was a fabricated sheet rubber suit that had been inflated and painted over with liquid latex. These suits worked surprisingly well, were very low cost, and in later years contained some Canadian innovations such as the “LaPlante hood” (the “horse-collar” equalizer shown on several of the dry suits in the catalogue).

If Martin Scholler's ingenuity with drysuits is to be believed, it seems a fair assumption that it was also the I.D.C. founder's idea to fit long breathing tubes topped with ball valves to the Atlantic Lusso full-face mask he had imported from Italy. Such replacement snorkels are much more reminiscent of French snorkel-mask designs, e.g.:
123820515-jpg.506265.jpg

Italian snorkel-mask designers opted for float valves instead, which meant that the I.D.C Atlantic was likely to have been a bi- or even trinational hybrid by the enterprising Mr Scholler.

Incidentally, the double-snorkel Atlantic illustrated earlier in this message comes from the 1957 I.D.C catalogue where it is captioned "ATLANTIC. Full face mask with double snorkel. $10.95. Deluxe with safety glass. $13.95." The 1957, 1958 and 1960 catalogues may be downloaded here from the CG-45.com collection website, which includes a page full of interesting pictures and information dedicated to International Divers Corporation.

The Spasciani Atlantic Lusso snorkel-mask appeared in at least two sources during the following year: 1958.

The 1958 Rex-Hevea catalogue has the following captioned image for the mask:
upload_2021-4-25_11-4-36.png
Italian: "ATLANTIC TR.1 e TR.2: sono, tra le maschere a gran facciale, quelle che hanno riportato maggior successo; la carcassa in morbida gomma nera o verde o blu racchiude un ampio cristallo bloccato da ghiera. La TR. 1 dispone di un solo snorkel in alluminio e orientabile sul pelo dell'acqua; la TR.2 dispone di due snorkels. Ambedue sono costruite nel tipo STANDARD e nel tipo. LUSSO; in quest'ultimo il cristallo, infrangibile, è da forma trapezoidale e gli snorkels sono regolabili anche in altezza. La bardatura è del tipo a « crociera » in modo da fissarle perfettamente alla testa."
English: "These are amongst the full visage masks which have encountered the greatest success; in a soft rubber frame, black, green or blue, is ring-blocked an ample glass. The TR.1 has a single aluminum snorkel which can be swung about on the surface of the water; TR.2 has two snorkels. Both are built in STANDARD and LUSSO types; in this latter the glass is shatterproof of a trapezoidal shape and the snorkels are adjustable also in height. The straps are crossed holding them firmly fixed on the head."
My translation: "Among full-face masks, these have reported major successes; soft black, green or blue rubber body houses a large window with a retaining band. TR.1 has only one aluminium snorkel, adjustable relative to surface of water; TR.2 has two snorkels. Both are built in STANDARD type and in LUXURY type; in latter, shatterproof window is trapezoidal in shape and snorkels are adjustable in height too. Harness of “cross” type for perfect attachment to head."

The second 1958 source was the International Divers Corporation catalogue of that year:
upload_2021-4-25_11-10-15.png
The caption to the image read: "ATLANTIC. Full face mask with double snorkel. $13.95." No change from the previous year.

The Atlantic snorkel-mask was conspicuous by its absence from the 1960 I.D.C. catalogue downloadable from the CG-com Collection website.
DV0006107.jpg
However, my first-edition copy of Edmund Burke's excellent 1963 Underwater Handbook (above) contains the following image:
upload_2021-4-25_11-27-52.png
The caption: "Return of the hunter." By now, I hope that a single-tube Spasciani Atlantic snorkel will be instantly recognisable by one and all. I also trust that I have demonstrated that the device was no "child's toy" but an expensive accessory for a number of mid-twentieth-century underwater hunters.

And there we leave matters for the weekend, returning midweek to review the three remaining models in the Spasciani Atlantic snorkel-mask range. Keep well and stay safe.

Thanks for the likes, Sam and Jale.

Fabio Vitale's roundup of early-1950s diving masks reviews the Atlantic Lusso snorkel-mask alongside the model under scrutiny today, the Atlantic Standard:
upload_2021-4-28_8-44-16.png

Italian: "-a) Maschera Atlantic Standard. Carcassa in gomma morbida nera, verde o blu. Cristallo bloccato da ghiera. Snorkel orientabile in alluminio. La bardatura è a crociera. -b) Maschera Atlantic Lusso. Simile alla precedente, differisce nella forma del cristallo che è trapezoidale e infrangibile. Lo snorkel è regolabile anche in altezza. Bardatura a crociera."
Rough translation: "-a) Atlantic Standard Mask. Soft black, green or blue rubber body. Lens retained by band. Adjustable aluminium snorkel. Cross-shaped harness. -b) Atlantic Lusso Mask. Resembles previous model (Atlantic Standard). Differs in the shape of the lens, which is trapezoidal and shatterproof. The snorkel is even height-adjustable. Cross-shaped harness."

So there are both resemblances between the Lusso and the Standard - colour, material, retaining band, adjustable snorkel, head harness - and differences between them in the shape of the faceplate and in the composition of the lens glass.

The Atlantic Standard entry in the 1954 edition of the Rex-Hevea catalogue is as follows:
upload_2021-4-28_9-5-6.png

Italian: "ATLANTIC: sono, tra le maschere a gran facciale, quelle che I iscontrano maggior successo; grande cristallo rotondo e carcassa in gomma nera o bleu; snorckel in alluminio ed orientabile; si costruiscono anche nei tipi lusso con cristallo Securit triangolare ad uno o due snorckel orientabili ed allungabili. (MATREC) normale TR1, Lit. 3.500.
English: "These are, amongst the large windowed masks, those which have had the greatest success; with a large round window and strong mounting in black or blue rubber; aluminum snorkel, adjustable"
My translation: "Among full-face masks, these have reported major successes; large round window and black or blue rubber body; adjustable aluminium snorkel. (MATREC) normale TR1, 3.500 lire."

I added my own translation here because the "official" Rex-Hevea rendering not only needs better English wording but also omits some of the original text. Note the designation of the Atlantic Standard at this stage as the "Tipo Economico" (Budget Model) in contrast with the "Tipo Lusso" (Luxury Model).

In the 1958 Rex-Hevea catalogue, the Atlantic Standard was given its proper name:
upload_2021-4-28_9-18-24.png

Italian: "ATLANTIC TR.1 e TR.2: sono, tra le maschere a gran facciale, quelle che hanno riportato maggior successo; la carcassa in morbida gomma nera o verde o blu racchiude un ampio cristallo bloccato da ghiera. La TR. 1 dispone di un solo snorkel in alluminio e orientabile sul pelo dell'acqua; la TR.2 dispone di due snorkels. Ambedue sono costruite nel tipo STANDARD e nel tipo. La bardatura è del tipo a « crociera » in modo da fissarle perfettamente alla testa.
English: "These are amongst the full visage masks which have encountered the greatest success; in a soft rubber frame, black, green or blue, is ring-blocked an ample glass. The TR.1 has a single aluminum snorkel which can be swung about on the surface of the water; TR.2 has two snorkels. Both are built in STANDARD and LUSSO types; The straps are crossed holding them firmly fixed on the head."
My translation: "Among full-face masks, these have reported major successes; soft black, green or blue rubber body houses a large window with a retaining band. TR.1 has only one aluminium snorkel, adjustable relative to surface of water; TR.2 has two snorkels. Both are built in STANDARD type and in LUXURY type; Harness of “cross” type for perfect attachment to head."

Sadly, I have never found any pictures of the Atlantic Standard snorkel-mask in action or fitted with twin snorkels.

Now we come to the final Atlantic snorkel-mask, the TR.1P. "TR.1" relates to the number of snorkels ("tubo respiratorio 1" = "1 breathing tube"), while the "P" stands for "Piccolo", Italian for "small". Earlier in this thread we reviewed the snorkel-less version of the "Piccolo":
upload_2021-4-18_9-52-12-jpeg.654079.jpg

The selling points of the above model were lower volume, relative lightness and deep-water readiness.

Here is its single-snorkel sister product, the TR1P, in Fabio Vitale's roundup of early-1950s diving masks:
upload_2021-4-28_9-30-49.png

Italian: "Maschera Atlantic Tr. 1 P. Carcassa rigida in gomma nera o azzurra. Vetro tondo bloccato da ghiera. Snorkel in alluminio orientabile sulla verticale del pelo dell’acqua."
Rough translation: "Atlantic Tr. 1 P. Mask. Rigid black or light blue rubber body. Round lens retained by band. Aluminium snorkel can be adjusted on surface of water."

The TR1P was conspicuous by its absence from the 1954 Rex-Hevea catalogue, making its début in the 1958 edition:
upload_2021-4-28_9-44-23.png

Italian: "ATLANTIC TR. 1 P: piccola maschera a vetro tondo bloccato da ghiera, carcassa rigida in gomma nera od azzurra; snorkel in alluminio ed orientabile sulla verticale del pelo dell'acqua. E' adatta ai piccoli volti dei bambini o delle signore."
English: "A small mask with round ring-blocked glass; rigid frame in black or blue rubber, aluminum snorkel which can be set vertically in respect to the surface of the water because of being articulated. Adapted for the small faces of children or women."
My translation: "ATLANTIC TR. 1 P: Small round window mask with retaining band, rigid black or blue rubber body, aluminium snorkel adjustable to a vertical position relative to water surface. Suitable for small faces of children or ladies."

So the Atlantic TR1P lived up to its name in terms of sizing (piccolo=small). As its name also implies, there was no double-snorkel version of this model. No images of this snorkel-mask either in auction or in action have emerged despite exhaustive searches of the print and online literature.

At the weekend, service will resume with a look at the fins in the Spasciani Atlantic range. Stay safe and well until then.

I'm grateful for the likes, Sbiriguda, Sam and Jale.

As promised, I shall focus today on the fins in Spasciani's Atlantic range. Perhaps it is worth mentioning up front that the masks, snorkel and snorkel-masks we have already reviewed in the range can be related to Spasciani's core products of personal protective equipment with particular reference to the faculties of vision and respiration. One might be tempted to conclude, therefore, that the company would have decided that fins were simply there to complement the mask, snorkel and snorkel-mask offerings and that originality of design was a much lower priority in the case of fins.

In the event, Spasciani opted for ingenuity too when the firm turned to fin development. The first model to come out of the Atlantic stable was the "Atlantic A.V.". "A.V." apparently stood for "A Valvola", Italian for "valved". Reproduced below is an image of the product from an early undated Rex-Hevea catalogue to accompany an unillustrated description from the 1954 Rex-Hevea catalogue:
upload_2021-5-2_9-19-28.png

Italian: "ATLANTIC. Questa Casa costruiva pinne « a valvole » che erano le uniche adatte a chi non nuotava il « crawl »: infatti speciali membrane si aprivano nella fase natatoria di avvicinamento del piede al corpo (lasciando così scorrere l'acqua) e si chiudevano (in modo da servire come una pinna normale) al momento della « spinta » del piede. Mentre queste sono ancora in vendita fino ad esaurimento...(ATLANVE) a valvole, regolabili. Lit. 7.000."
English: "This firm manufactured fins with «valves» which were the only ones adapted for those who did not swim the «crawl» stroke: in fact, when in swimming, the feet are drawn up to the trunk, special membranes opened (allowing the water to flow out) and they closed (so as to serve as an ordinary fin) when the leg stroke was given. These are still on sale until the stock in hand is exhausted..."
My translatIon: "ATLANTIC. This company constructed "valve" fins which were the only ones suitable for anyone swimming a stroke other than "crawl": special membranes actually opened during the swimming phase when the foot approached the body (thus letting the water flow out) and closed (thus operating like a normal fin) when the foot delivered its "thrust". These remain on sale until stocks are exhausted ... (ATLANVE) with valves, adjustable. Lit.7,000."

Why stocks of these unusual fins were being allowed to run down can only be a matter of conjecture seven decades after their introduction and without further reliable sources of historical information. Perhaps the price was too high, or the design presented manufacturing issues, or the "special membranes" did not always open and close on cue in the water. The observation that "crawl" was not the stroke of choice for every swimmer of the day made penty of sense. Speed is never every swimmer's priority unless competing in a race. At the time, many swimmers would have opted instead for the grace and comfort of breaststroke, or the now-rare sidestroke, to keep afloat and moving gently across the surface. Breaststroke fins do exist nowadays, e.g. the "Positive Drive" fins below:
pdfins_1.jpg

Their principle is described thus: "The Positive Drive Fins (PDF’s) use a unique ellipsoidal blade to generate the correct propulsion in all swim strokes. Traditionally fins are not made for Breaststroke, but the asymmetrical shape and adjustable heel strap allows the swimmer to safely build power in the Breaststroke kick."

So the Atlantic A.V. fins, which Spasciani may not have patented, are the ancestors of the all-stroke fins that appeared around the new millennium. That fact might be extremely impressive in itself, but the placement of "valves" in the fin blades also foreshadowed such fin designs as the Cressi Super Rondine, patented by Luigi Ferraro in 1962, with its hinged flapper valve opening and closing vents in the blade during normal swimming motion:
upload_2020-6-17_11-0-0-png.592424.png
upload_2020-6-17_11-0-24-png.592425.png
If so, perhaps the Atlantic A.V. can be said to be a forerunner of the Jetfin/Jet Fin, whether you prefer the original Beuchat version or the more commercially successful and enduring Scubapro model.:)

Whatever was behind the early demise of the Atlantic A.V., it deserves a more exalted position in the history of fin development where it qualifies for that somewhat clichéed expression "before its time". Enduring products tend to be those combining ingenuity with salesmanship and perhaps the latter was missing from Spasciani's business case.

The stock of Atlantic A.V. fins probably ran out sooner or later and the only vestige of the design was the following unknown model:
upload_2021-5-2_10-41-54.png

For want of a different explanation, the rectangular rib pattern on the bottom of the blades may serve a more decorative purpose than their counterpart on the Atlantic A.V. does.

The Atlantic A.V. was on its way out out when the Atlantic fin entry appeared in the Rex-Hevea catalogue of 1954, which elected to showcase a different model:
upload_2021-5-2_10-54-51.png

Italian: "ATLANTIC. (...) La Casa ha costruito anche un tipo di pinna normale, a punte uguali e con scarpetta ad alluce libero; esse sono del tipo pesante e nelle seguenti calzate e nei colori nero, verde e blu: (PIATLAMI) calz. 35/37. Lit. 3.100. (PIATLAPI) calz. 37/39. Lit. 3.200. (PIATLASI) calz. 38/40. Lit. 3.300. (PIATLAME) calz. 39/41. Lit. 3.400. (PIATLAGRA) calz. 40/42. Lit. 3.500. (PIATLAMA) calz. 41/44. Lit. 3.600. "
English: "(...) The firm has constructed also a normal type fin, with equal points and with an open tip shoe; these are made in the heavy type and in the above mentioned sizes."
My translation: "ATLANTIC. (...) The firm has also constructed a normal type of fin, with symmetrical tips and a foot pocket leaving the big toe exposed. They are heavy-type fins available in black, green and blue and in the following (continental) sizes : (PIATLAMI) shoe-fitting, 35/37, 3,100 lire. (PIATLAPI) shoe-fitting, 37/39, 3,200 lire. (PIATLASIS) shoe-fitting, 38/40, 3,300 lire. (PIATLAME) shoe-fitting, 39/41, 3,400 lire. (PIATLAGRA) shoe-fitting, 40/42, 3,500 lire. (PIATLAMA) shoe-fitting, 41/44, 3.600 lire.

So what we have here is a closed-heel, open-toe fin. Note how the image on the right above has the base of the fin following a straight line from the back of the heel to the tip of the blade, while the Cressi Rondine implemented the concept of a blade offset at an angle to maximise kick efficiency. Fred Roberts explained the superiority of offset blades in the appendix "Swim Fin Analysis" to his seminal work Basic Scuba (1960), including the following diagrams:
Roberts-Basic-Scuba-Straight-Blade-Analysis.jpg

Roberts-Basic-Scuba-Offset-Blade-Analysis.jpg

Mares' first full-foot fins had straight blades too, a design feature the company only rectified when the 1960s came along, so Spasciani was not alone in this lapse of judgement. The Atlantic closed-heel fin remained unique, however, in having pull-on tabs fore and aft at the foot entry for ease of donning. This innovation took quite a while to catch on with other diving fin manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom