Any reason not to get a AL30, compared with a AL19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the Luxfer 40s. I've never used a Metal Impact nor a Catalina but I can't imagine any tank slings better than a Luxfer 40. Often times I'm coming up the ladder before I remember I even have a bottle there! I've kept 2 of them (sold off several when I stopped tech diving) and I'll keep these until they fail a hydro or VIP.

Can someone start a “What can I buy that's appropriate for my future diving that I may never do

but completely rubbish for the diving I am doing now, after pumping up car tyres,” forum, please

yeah that's one thing I'm considering now.

The short is attractive since it will be eaiser to pack for travel.

How are you strapping/mounting your long 19? is it just the standard stage kit and left/right sling?
I sling on the left, I have a 13 for travel it’s easier to keep full with a whip being smaller all be it less air is less air.
I thinking the 30 would be a little handier for local diving.

hmm this is an interesting idea. Wouldn't it be too long to sling on the left?
Not really, about an inch or so longer than the Al40, just fatter. I’ve done this doing solo dives with a single (because my Al40 was full of oxygen waiting for some tech dives) and as long as the Al80 is half to 2/3 full it floats up and under the armpit (if it’s full it hangs down a bit more like a brick).

IMO, the short 19 is going to be significantly less comfortable to sling and more difficult to stow the reg. I just looked at my tall and the clamp band is less than 3" from the bottom. That would be below the bottom of the short ...

According to DGX, the shorts are also 1.3lbs heavier and 0.4lbs more negative.

IMO, the short 19 is going to be significantly less comfortable to sling and more difficult to stow the reg. I just looked at my tall and the clamp band is less than 3" from the bottom. That would be below the bottom of the short ...

According to DGX, the shorts are also 1.3lbs heavier and 0.4lbs more negative.

Yeah I was searching everywhere for a short 19 strapped picture but couldn't find one.
It's a valid concern I think.

Yeah I was searching everywhere for a short 19 strapped picture but couldn't find one.
I am late to the party, but of course I have an opinion. The size of your pony should not be based on how you carry it, but by how much air you need for the dive you're planning to do to get to the surface with a comfy margin. I am a big'un, but I carry a 13 because it gives me enough gas to surface on a NDL dive and have a thousand or so PSI left.

I carry it strapped to my main tank using a Metalsub cylinder bracket. If I had a 30 or 40, I would sling it.

Can mods move this thread to the what can I buy for the future but dive now after pumping up my tyres forum please
Are you trolling the mods? You have to do better than that.

Look for a 13, think a little fatter
Here is a 13
7B24EA6A-4391-4AE5-8000-AB1E1ABBA04E.jpeg

I am late to the party, but of course I have an opinion. The size of your pony should not be based on how you carry it, but by how much air you need for the dive you're planning to do to get to the surface with a comfy margin. I am a big'un, but I carry a 13 because it gives me enough gas to surface on a NDL dive and have a thousand or so PSI left.

I carry it strapped to my main tank using a Metalsub cylinder bracket. If I had a 30 or 40, I would sling it.

Thanks for you input.
It's true that my normal dives are usually around or shallower than 80 feet.

My SAC is at 0.5 cuft/min, a pretty standard value.

So AL13 actually would serves me well on a majority of my dives.
but AL19(short), which is what I was originally going to get, is only slightly fatter and can allow me to surface from at most 120 feet.

I personally feel the added benefit of going deeper is pretty nice to have. :)

Back
Top Bottom